A New Vision for the Kalakala?

So much a part of Tacoma now, yet, so forgotten …

It’s been a few years since we’ve thought about the Kalakala. Now it’s back … with a new vision that includes dry-docking the Kalakala, an indoor theme park and convincing a Mexican scrap yard to release four decommissioned historic state ferrys. From the Weekly Volcano:

Plans for the Kalakala would involve complete renovation and dry docking of the ferry at a site secured along the Thea Foss Waterway, between the now defunct Esplanade Condominium project and Thea’s Landing. Rodrigues has already secured seed funding for all phases of his dream, which he has dubbed the Columbia Gardens and MV Kalakala Project.

Really? Rodrigues is going before the Foss Waterway Development Authority tomorrow.

More information and pretty pictures at The Weekly Volcano

Previously on Exit133

Comments

Jake

“between the now defunct Esplanade Condominium project”

??

March 2, 2009 at 9:45 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Derek

We had a long conversation in the office about that line.

March 2, 2009 at 9:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Steven

I still think it would make a great condo.  Fire that puppy up once a year to go out on the bay for the Fourth of July.  Built in Parking.

If I had a million or ten, I would do it.

Steven

March 2, 2009 at 9:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dave_L.

This makes me happy.

March 2, 2009 at 11:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Serious? That thing is like a floating Luzon Building.

March 3, 2009 at 12:09 am / Reply / Quote and reply

jbrader

I’m really tired of the entire thing and I never thought it was a good looking object anyway. I think it should just be turned into razor blades.

March 3, 2009 at 1:12 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Mr. Rodrigues proposition for the <span class=“caps”>KALAKALA</span> would be more at home within the pages of an Ian Flemming novel… in particular a bond villain.  I’ve hacked into his computer and watched the <span class=“caps”>FULL</span> <span class=“caps”>VERSION</span> of his powerpoint presentation which he will only show to his most fervent believers

Mr. Rodriges plans to refurbish the <span class=“caps”>KALAKALA</span> not for mere seafaring… but a <span class=“caps”>STAR</span>faring <span class=“caps”>KALAKALA</span>.  What is more, accommodations for 2 pairs of every intelligently designed animal on the earth are being assembled as we speak.

How do I know this?  I am being held captive in the orangutan cages… typing this desperate message out on a blackberry I captured from a guard after knocking him unconscious with a frozen watermelon (the keys to the cell having slid just outside of my grasp).  Please alert the other members of <span class=“caps”>TEAM</span> C.L.A.W. to my woeful fate.

Oh god.  A sharp metallic noise.  The walls… they are compacting!

March 3, 2009 at 2:54 am / Reply / Quote and reply

P

RR – I’m having a hard time imagining the kalakala as starship. Did you happen to get any of the conceptual drawings? If so, can you share?

March 3, 2009 at 4:18 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

This illustration might help.

Also:

I can’t believe the Kalakala is being brought from the dead.  RR has a ton of material on it.  The only thing better for him would be if the traveller became mayor.

March 3, 2009 at 4:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

here is a better 3d rendering courtesy of Lisiecki & Associates <span class=“caps”>LLC</span>.

March 3, 2009 at 4:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

can I just say that this is the dumbest rendering ever?  Hey kids can you find the art deco ferry in this picture?  Give up?  (<span class=“caps”>HINT</span>: a kamikaze Star Destroyer is ramming into the poop deck)

March 3, 2009 at 5:00 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Dave_L.

Yeah, I didn’t spot it at first.  Anyway, Touché, RR:

One verse of Black Ball Ferry Line sung by Tacoma’s Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters:

Get aboard get aboard when the weather’s fine

Take your pick of the ferries on the Black Ball Line

There’s the Illahee and Chippewa

And the Quillayute…the Kalakala…

You’ll find all these on the Black Ball Line…

The Klahanie, the Nisqually, there’s the Malahat

(we’ll think of that!)

The Klickitat

(there goes my hat!)

The S! S! City of Sacramento!

(What are we doing down in California?)

Not a good looking object ?

www.kalakala.org/

March 3, 2009 at 6:11 am / Reply / Quote and reply

I kinda sorta like that rendering. Not sure why, but I dunno… I just like it.

And the Esplanade… makes me kinda sad. Of all the condo projects that went up the last few years, I thought this one was the best one in terms of size and massing… second in appearance only to 505 Broadway.

Have they even sold any yet? I drive by there on 705 on my way to work at 5:30 AM and I never see lights on, except in 2 windows… that always have the lights on.

I wonder how an old ferry, assuredly restored and possibly with an inverse pyramid coming out of it would affect sales? It’s not like it could affect them negatively…

March 3, 2009 at 6:36 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

I totally don’t get the pyramid.  All I know is like the convention center’s <span class=“caps”>SPIRE</span>; the pyramid is diabolical and must never be realized.

March 3, 2009 at 8:21 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

re: rendering

and what’s with the dude in the row boat?  maybe it’s just my <span class=“caps”>PTSD</span>, but I don’t like the way he’s looking at me…  what’s in that bundle?  No sir, I don’t like it one bit.

March 3, 2009 at 8:25 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR, you know what’s in that bundle.

The pyramid is a well-known Masonic symbol representing the One World Government (<span class=“caps”>OWG</span>). It’s a well established that the Ancient Egyptians invented the rowboat, using it to haul the Pharaoh’s bundle down the Mighty Nile during the flood season. Beginning with Djedefre, the then newly built pyramids came to symbolize the ultimate goal of the original Martian colonists that landed in the Nile in 3127 BC: forming the <span class=“caps”>OWG</span>. Remember, the pyramids could never have been built without galactic Martian technology, and the lines of the Pharaohs until Tutankhamen were all descendants of the original Martian colonists (hence Akhenaten’s big head).

Thus the inverse pyramid and the man rowing a boat with the traditional symbolic Pharaohnic bundle is a message to the Galactic Elders that the time has come for Contact to be made, and will be made upon the bridge of the <span class=“caps”>NCC</span>-1702 Kalakala.

March 3, 2009 at 11:33 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Whitney

Seriously?

Let’s turn this cruise around and get back on topic people!

March 3, 2009 at 3:33 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The strange thing is, I think all this actually is on topic…

March 3, 2009 at 6:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dave_L.

…but we might be confusing the <span class=“caps”>NYT</span> readers.

March 3, 2009 at 7:39 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Well, given the inverse pyramid coming out of the rusting hulk of a ferry, and given the impressive amount of Starship Kalakala imagery presented, I challenge any readers of the <span class=“caps”>NYT</span> to come up with a better explanation.

Of course that is not a fair challenge, I mean these people read that rag voluntarily. We can’t expect too much from them, after all.

<sub>-> At the risk of going further off-topic, I will not go into the story of why I dislike the <span class=“caps”>NYT</span>, other than it’s because they personally insulted me. That story is available if you wish to email me.</sub>

March 3, 2009 at 7:57 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jdub

Years ago, a customer, and seaworthy tugboat operator and local nautical historian, told me the only place the Kalakala will survive is drydocked, and on the foss (not Ruston).  Seems, that realization has made it to the owner.

I’d love to see the beast restored, but it seems like a hangnail you love to chew on at this point.

I wonder if the Kalakala would add, or detract, from a restored Morgan Bridge, which is a beautiful piece of work (as is the kalakala).

March 4, 2009 at 5:40 am / Reply / Quote and reply

jdub

oh, and the last thing we need is a non-restoration project of a ex-deco ferry on the Foss till the Tall Ships come back . . .

March 4, 2009 at 5:45 am / Reply / Quote and reply

tom waits

so I am very curious – did anyone attend the <span class=“caps”>FWDA</span> Board meeting?  I would be very surprised if anything remotely approaching a viable project was presented.

March 4, 2009 at 4:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Frizzlebee

You would think that some sort of Maritime Museum would be interested in the ferry. At the very least, it could be dry-docked and turned into a seafood-themed restaurant. Perhaps they could serve early 20th Century ferry cuisine.

March 4, 2009 at 4:43 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Art Skolnik

Best of luck Steve.Whatever it takes to save her is <span class=“caps”>AOK</span> by me!

Art

March 4, 2009 at 4:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dave_L.

Ah, here’s the Black Ball Ferry Line song.

March 4, 2009 at 7:43 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

richard

The Kalakala would make an excellent new / old / re-purposed / recycled Top of the Ocean restaurant.  It could be built fire, sheriff, 70’s, mortgage banker and liquor control board resistant to prevent history repeating itself.

March 4, 2009 at 8:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Can this thing be restored into working-condition, or is it too far gone?

Imagine if you will (borrowing from Richard, above), a 4 star restaurant that cruises Commencement Bay, up Point Defiance, down under the Narrows and past Titlow, returning past Gig Harbor and Vashon, to return to the Foss when your dinner is done.

That would be way more awesome than an inverse Masonic/Pharaohonic pyramid growing out of it’s roof.

March 4, 2009 at 9:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Apologies for double post here, but:

Even if we don’t have an amazing sailing restaurant, I actually hope they build this. It’s crazy, kooky enough to actually add to the Foss and serve as an attraction. Plus it’s better than letting the Kalakala rust into oblivion and having a gaping hole in the Foss waterfront… I mean, it’s not like a hotel is being built there in the foreseeable future.

March 4, 2009 at 11:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Weld that sucker to the 11th Street Bridge deck and then we’ll have the world’s most unique covered bridge.

March 5, 2009 at 1:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

weld wheels on it and it can be the worlds largest airstream trailer

March 5, 2009 at 4:25 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Flip it on its back and call it the new Titlow Pool.

March 5, 2009 at 7:01 am / Reply / Quote and reply

offbroadway

Think of it as Tacoma’s floating horizontal spire.

March 5, 2009 at 8:06 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Dave L turned me on to this kalakala fan boy site  Make sure to check out the model page.  Someday I would like to build my own Kalakala Winnebago

March 5, 2009 at 5:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Gotta love those Kalakala photos from 2007.

What a ratrod.

March 5, 2009 at 7:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dave_L.

I think some Kalakala awareness art-event on-board, or incorporating the Kalakala itself is in order.  RR, I’ll wrestle you to be first in line for any Beautiful Angle “Save Me” Kalakala poster that may be produced, though it may be produced entirely in my imagination.

March 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

crenshaw sepulveda

Me, I just like saying Kalakala, you can help but smile when you say Kalakala.

March 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

March 6, 2009 at 1:26 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

More found art

March 6, 2009 at 2:00 am / Reply / Quote and reply

<span class=“caps”>NCC</span>-1702

Beam me up, Jesse.

March 6, 2009 at 2:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dry dock that sucker right where the Top of Tacoma used to be and make it the new Top of Tacoma restaraunt.  How cool.

Any way you slice it, it’d be cool to save such an icon.

March 8, 2009 at 12:54 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Top of the Ocean… not Tacoma… sorry.

March 8, 2009 at 12:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

tressie

mark and I toured it when it was up in the other city…and we love sneaking a peek…as we drive to BP to dine with the fam………I have the T shirt…I’m ready

March 9, 2009 at 7:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply