Carl’s Jr. Coming To Tacoma

Is the opening of a fast food joint a reason to celebrate?  Generally not.  But when it’s Carl’s Jr… Ahhh the memories.  I spent a fair amount of my growing up years in the Southern California with such lunch options as Carl’s Jr. and In-n-Out Burger.  While I haven’t had a fast food hamburger in years, I could easily picture myself asking for a Double Western Bacon Cheeseburger without too much convincing – two flame broiled beef patties smothered in bbq sauce, cheese, and topped with a couple of onion rings.  A side of crisscut season fries.  Ahhh… the memories.  Years of training down the drain.  Must run more.

Link to The News Tribune

Update: Carl’s Jr. to open on Thursday, September 21st.

Comments

RR Anderson

what about a tunnel ?

October 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

tacoma1

Two words can fix this problem.

Street Diet.

Now that I fixed this problem, where will all the cars go?  Half will stay because half actually live or shop in Old Town and the North End, but they will travel at safer speeds. The other half will stay on 16 on their way to Gig Harbor and stop cutting through our neighborhoods at unsafe speeds.

October 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jesse

I would bend the railroad tracks at puyallup avenue and put them under pacific avenue at about 21st and 509.  Then they would pop out at the north end of downtown thus putting the railroad tracks against the hillside ans Schuster parkway on the water all the way from puyallup ave downtown to ruston… and eliminating the railroad tracks along dock street.

October 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Then you could tear out 705 north of 21st/509 and connect that intersection to surface streets you create on the land freed up by all of this.  Sell the new city blocks to pay for the move of the train to under Pacific Ave.

This would solve a lot of Tacoma’s waterfront access problems downtown and on Schuster.  It’s create city blocks in a place where building a tall building is possible because you can dig there.

October 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

tacoma1

publicola.com/2011/1…

Road diets work. I don’t make this shit up People ( ok, I make up half of it, but not this half).

October 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

tacoma1

Regarding David Boe’s drawing on the 4th street transition, it actually looks like a workable plan. My only comment is that there should be bicycle and pedestrian improvements directly towards Pacific Ave too. If a bike or pedestrian commuter is heading downtown they’ll go straight ahead, not down to Dock Street.

October 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

AreteTacoma

I really like this plan, because it is realistic and workable over time as funding becomes available.  It doesn’t rely on tens of millions of dollars worth of industrial investments just getting up and leaving.  I agree with tacoma1 @#6.  Though it is not really a part of the “waterfront,” a connection to downtown is a must and should be included with any plan to complete the waterfront walk.  The retaining wall would not need to be touched at the exit to Pacific Ave.  There is extra room under the Stadium Way off ramp and the right turn lane really isn’t needed in front of Old City Hall.  A road diet would be perfect there.  Use that right lane to create a separated bikeway and pedestrian path to Pacific Avenue that would connect to the new Schuster hill side walkway.

October 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

AreteTacoma

I just looked at Street View and I may have been a bit mistaken on the location on that retaining wall.  That would probably cost over $1million to move back and enlarge, but it’s still doable.  Some type of lidded cut and cover structure could do it too, might cost even more though.

October 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

talus

I’m with Tacoma1.  A road diet could be a great way to get more room along that stretch.  How about reversible lanes, a la Rock Creek Parkway in Washington, DC?  Two lanes heading out in the a.m., two lanes heading back north in the evening, and a lane freed up for bikes and peds?

November 1, 2011 at 7:26 am / Reply / Quote and reply