Exit133 is about Tacoma
Compromise on Weyerhaeuser Mansion… Maybe
It's a truism that you can't please all the people all the time. The situation with the old Weyerhaeuser mansion at North 43rd and Stevens seems to be as good an example of that as any.
If you've been following the battle that has waged for a couple years now, you know that the situation has gone from tense to litigious between the company that wants to continue hosting weddings and other events on the historic property, and the nearby residents who say such events disrupt their neighorhood.
Now there's another possible compromise. This week the Hearing Examiner returned a verdict in the case this week that seeks to thread the needle - allowing continued events, but with more strict conditions that previously imposed. The News Tribune reports that this week's decision lays out those conditions in a 47 page finding.
- During the wedding season 3 weddings per week would be allowed
- Events are limited to 150 attendees
- One on-site parking space must be provided for every 3 guests
- Limited music is allowed as a brief part of outdoor ceremonies in the rose garden on the property, limited to 72 decibels or less
- Outdoor speakers must be oriented away from the adjacent property
- Dance music must be contained to inside spaces
- Property owners must construct a wall to screen the adjacent property from noise and other impacts of the festivities
It's not the first decision on this dispute over the use of the Weyerhaueser property, and neither party is happy with the findings, but in a case of such entrenched positions, is it possible that the best you can hope for is an arangement that makes everyone equally unhappy?
Read more from The News Tribune and previous coverage of the Weyerhaeuser Mansion from Exit133.
Do you want to help the folks at Exit133 pay our bills and keep up with of all things Tacoma? Do you want to see even more coverage? Exit133 has always been free to read and comment, and it will stay that way. However, over the years, readers have contributed to the bank account to help us keep up our coverage of goings-on around town. Contribute and this message disappears!Support Exit133