Tacoma City Council Considers Tougher Pet Laws

It sounds as though the city council meeting last night got quite interesting.  Four dozen people, or so, lined up for the public comment period.  What brought out this civic engagement?  Pets.  Why?  Because the Tacoma City Council is considering tougher laws to manage our feathered and furry friends.  The laws includes a requirement that owners of unaltered dogs or cats have a breeders license.  It mandates that impounded animals be fixed.  It limits ‘livestock’ in the city.  I guess my dreams for a few llamas in the backyard of my North Slope home may not be reasonable anymore…

I wish I had been to the meeting last night.  Rules or laws that effect pets brings out some pretty passionate folks.

Link to The News Tribune

Comments

Nick

Could it be? Will we no longer be assaulted with overzealous advertisements?

Only teasing . . . sort of . . .

January 14, 2009 at 10:43 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

inside pages are still bad… thank god for pop up blocker built into firefox.

January 14, 2009 at 11:03 am / Reply / Quote and reply

travisl

Under Windows Mobile, it still takes a long time to load the 200KB page, and it’s agonizing to scroll down 2/3 of the way, past all the junk, to get to the actual article. Their mobile site isn’t a great alternative; it seems several hours or even days behind the main site.

January 14, 2009 at 1:09 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The site does not render correctly on Ubuntu 8.10 with Firefox, Opera and Konqueror.

See for yourself

I also am getting a lot of inconsistencies with Safari 1.3.2 on OS X 10.3.9… namely some of the ads on the right cover some text.

On XP SP2, it seems to run perfectly fine with IE 7, FF does studder a little when opening, Opera has the exact same problem it does under ‘nix.

I have a beta copy of Win 7, I’ll try that out over the weekend.

My verdict? It looks a little better than it used to, but what does it matter if I’m still hit by ads <span class=“caps”>AND</span> it doesn’t render correctly on my operating system of choice?

Grade: C

January 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Savvy_Reader

Is this Laura’s work?

January 15, 2009 at 2:14 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Gentry

Yep, Savvy, the redesign was my fault. ;)

Travis, I’m submitting a query to our mobile vendor to find out why the mobile site’s lagging behind. This is the first mention I’ve seen of the problem and you’re right, it’s lagging behind in a few sections (though news updates seems to be alive and well). My guess is unusual characters that are being copied and pasted into the story body are breaking the various feeds that make the mobile site work.

Thorax, we’re still working on some of the browser inconsistencies. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to all of the operating systems and browsers one would need to get it right for every situation.

If you’re curious, I’m running <span class=“caps”>OSX</span> 10.4.1 and primarily use Firefox 3, Safari and Camino, but have tested on Vista and XP in FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7 and Chrome. If anybody wants to donate screenshots of funky behavior to help my cause, I’d happily accept them.

Thanks for the feedback!

January 15, 2009 at 6:33 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

D... I mean, Savvy_Reader

Oh, I was looking for whom to credit, not whom to blame :-)  Besides, I have absolutely no clue what you computer people are talking about.

January 15, 2009 at 8:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

@ Gentry…

in my original post, I provided a <span class=“caps”>URL</span> to a screenshot of the issues I’m getting with FF on Ubuntu.

Same issues are there today.

January 16, 2009 at 9:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Gentry

Thorax, thanks for the screenshot. I was mostly referring to any other problems people might be having. The problem you’re seeing seems to be with the way Ubuntu renders the css style “letter-spacing.” As a result, it’s forcing the navigation to a second line, which is forcing the content to the middle and pushing the ad rail down the page. I’ve made a change that will hopefully fix the problem, but not having access to Ubuntu to test makes it hard to tell. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want and let me know if it fixed the problem. Or let me know if it didn’t: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

January 16, 2009 at 1:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

torinaga

Has there been a conscious effort to rebrand the site to not seem as Tacoma-centric?

Also.

I must admit it chaps my hide a little bit to have Seattle come before Tacoma on our own newspaper’s title bar “Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather…”. It may have said that all along, but I never noticed until the layout change.

January 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

The Trib is in a sticky situation because there are many ‘news tribunes’  that’s why they had to go with ‘TheNewsTribune.com’ in their url.  I hate typing all that so I use their old url <span class=“caps”>TRIBNET</span>.COM   I’d like to see them go with Tacoma-NT.com

January 20, 2009 at 3:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

torinaga

I still use tribnet as well. I hope they are planning on continuing to renew that domain.

January 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Derek

Tribnet.com is all I use too. I’m glad I’m not alone.

January 20, 2009 at 5:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

hey did you know that own tacomanewstribune.com also?  it’s like they acknowledge that everyone knows that’s their name, yet they still bitterly cling to their lamewad generic name…  probably for tax/legal reasons.

i’ll illustrate with an example:

“Dang those guys I wanna sue them for what they said about me being a slumlord!” …calls lawyer… “Hey, I wanna sue the news tribune”

lawyer: “yeah which one?”

… insert fog horn waaah waaah sound fx…

January 20, 2009 at 6:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply