Imagine Tacoma – Ride the Bridge

Now that the Murray Morgan Bridge has been selected as one of Washington State’s Top Ten Most Endangered Properties by the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation, what about thinking of the structure as more than a functional means of having vehicle access to the Port of Tacoma?

How about the Bridge as an interactive part of recreational Tacoma? Re-establish the ramped access from the bridge deck to Dock Street to allow for both pedestrian and bicycle circulation to wind down to the waterway. Incorporate one of the bridge pylons as a covered climbing wall. Reconfigure the bridge deck for a lane of vehicle traffic each way with the rest area devoted to pedestrian and viewing opportunities. Consider an area of the stationary bridge deck as a launch site for a zip-line with new areas under the structure for a pocket skate park?

Add vertical circulation towers at each end of the span to provide direct pedestrian access to the Foss Esplanade Walkway below – with the West Tower connecting to a new Municipal Dock Multi-Modal Facility and the East Tower giving access to the ‘D’ Street Promenade to Urban Waters and a relocated Cheney Stadium. Both towers could have passenger lifts designed with large visible counter-weights ala the technology of the adjacent lift bridge.

And what about getting the lift bridge in smooth operational shape so the deck can be raised on a regularly scheduled and posted basis? How about designing the revamped bridge deck to allow for passengers to take the ride (for a small fee of course)– and enjoy a most unique view of the City and Port of Tacoma? The Duluth/Superior Aerial Lift Bridge is a sister bridge that is also a major attraction in the area– why can’t the MMB be a ‘must-do’ for anyone visiting Tacoma? And purchase of an erector set model of the bridge is the ‘must-have’ souvenir of the experience (available at the History Museum Gift Shop located next-door to the Chihuly Bridge).

Incorporate the bridge into the connecter of a Murray Morgan 3-Miler Route around the Foss Waterway: A figure 8 walking and biking route from the Northend of Downtown (with a direct connection to the Walk the Water route) to the Southend around Waterway Park. Work the route into the Tacoma Marathon and perhaps consider starting the Daffodil Parade on the East Side of the Waterway before it turns South onto Pacific Avenue?

While the City seems to be continually looking for a renaissance ‘icon’ structure for downtown– why not imagine a renovated and rejuvenated Murray Morgan Bridge that already HAS historical and engineering significance and can connect the East Side of the Foss Waterway into Downtown?

Comments

RR Anderson

Rusty George Creative, Jay Ray and the Weekly Volcano employ graphic designers that assemble the imagery seen on several of these terrible billboards.

To pretend that all we need to fix the problem is local artists to fill the billboards is to buy into the <span class=“caps”>LIES</span> that these giant erections are harmless.  Locals are already putting crap into these billboards!

It is not a content problem, it is a delivery problem.  Tear down the billboards, then <span class=“caps”>PAY</span> Chris Sharp,  Jeremy Greggory or Rusty George to paint/design your storefront.  Make the physical location of your business a destination, a connection with the community.  Billboards cannot compete with that.

March 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

tear down the billboards and use the scrap metal to rebuild the Kalakala.

March 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kevin

From my comment on Facebook:

Actually … I don’t like this idea either. I am sick of these monstrosities in my country, my state, my county, my city and my neighborhood. There is nothing good that comes from these things.

Art is a good thing, but shouldn’t the neighborhood/community agree and accept it? Just turning over these things to artist sounds good, but reality is that they will still piss off many if not most of us.

Traci Kelly (art Traci) has many great ideas and has shared much with the community, but I can not agree with this idea, especially anything that agrees to accept digital billboards.

I say we Demand that all billboards need to go!

March 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kevin

Comment #1 … RR .. perfectly said!

March 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

CindyBrady

The house in the top photo isn’t going to be any less “cramped” by the billboard if it has art on it.  I think art may be a nice way to go for a couple of them if the setting is just right (56th & Washington-ish?), but NO, not with any electronic billboards!  There should not be, and I will not support, any compromise on electronic billboards!

March 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kevin

Cindy, that house above would be much less cramped if the billboards were removed… as they all were supposed to have been a long time ago.

March 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

The latest legal analysis of the current 1997 Tacoma Billboard law states that this ordinance is likely valid

“Our review of court cases leads us to believe that the courts would uphold the City’s 1997 ordinance. We are are enclosing several of those court cases that can be downloaded from our website…”

Thus, this shows that the issue of introducing electronic billboards in Tacoma is a policy issue, not a legal one.

There is no legal necessity whatsoever to introduce them into Tacoma.

If large electronic billboard are placed into the city, it will because Tacoma has decided voluntarily to spam it’s residents with 24/7 commercials employing massive tvs on sticks, a practice a great many cities have banned.

March 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

The only way I’d hate these billboards even more is if they started running the True Grit City Arts cartoons on them or Robbi Firestone “spirit captures”

I think I’d start placing ads on craigslist for kamikaze pilots under ‘gigs’

March 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

artifacts1

If you focus on your phone conversation or texting while you drive by they don’t seem quite so bad. I’m sorta surprised Verison and AT&T didn’t negotiate a new batch of cell towers in Tacoma in exchange for outlawing cell phone usage while driving.

March 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Moochach

Percentage of billboard revenue local artists demand = 10%

Percentage of this idea generated from self serving interests = 100%

If 100% of the billboard content and revenue went to local artists, I will still prefer no billboards at all.

March 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

ALP

Actually, we get quite a bit of local art, i.e. graffiti on 6th Ave – and I wonder if the digital ones wouldn’t be vandalized, wouldn’t we have bigger fines, enforcement etc.?  Can you make a community support them?

March 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

that’s not graffiti, it’s part of the Tacoma Spaceworks art program.

March 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

“It is not a content problem, it is a delivery problem.”  — RR

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I wish people would quit suggesting alternative agreements for the billboard mess.  It implies that a “win” in this case could be something short of upholding the original billboard law — that being total elimination.  Anything, and I mean <span class=“caps”>ANYTHING</span> short of that is a huge failure.

Raise the bar people!

March 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Britton

Actually, I had proposed a similar idea (using the old empty Billboards as art spaces) on our “turn out that light Tacoma” facebook page.  I thought that if the council were to extend the amoritazation period, that could be a temporary solution/stop-gap until they were all removed. Heck, when they were finished you could even hang the vinyl wraps in empty store fronts as a show. I think that would at least make them less of an eyesore.

But under no circumstances should we allow Digital Billboards in Tacoma, no amount of exposure for young artists would counter the damage from one of the Digital monsters.

There is an art component to this, and I am working on one such idea.  Let’s really observe these billboards.  Draw them, paint them, imagine new things on them, whatever.  I think the issue with city beautification begins with truly observing.  For example, in the photo shown of a Billboard on a house at 6th and Alder – one slated for removal- there is the most interesting salmon painted on it’s base.  Not graffitti, just like a haida salmon…Interesting, a part of Tacoma both ugly and beautiful at the same time. (I took the above photo <span class=“caps”>BTW</span>, not that I care about credit, I don’t)…

Anyway, if we see the inherant beaty in the grit, we will see the “blight” where it really is.  In the indifference.

March 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

it would need to be art you don’t look at… maybe a swing

March 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Britton

I’m not going to lie, if Clear Channel let me put my artwork on the B-side of the Billboard outside my window (you know, that huge one on top of “It’s Greek to Me”), I wouldn’t care if it came down anytime soon. I’d probably enjoy the board then…

But that’s not going to happen, and even if it ran the “Empire Strikes Back” and “The Big Lebowski” all day and night instead of ads, I still wouldn’t go for the Digital ones, ever.

March 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

you’d be Steve Martin from LA Story

March 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

hahaaha @9

March 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Vince

The people who create those billboards <span class=“caps”>ARE</span> artists.  Just because they get paid for their work does not mean they are not.  You have photographers, painters, makeup artists, creative directors and many others involved in the creation of those billboards.

To somehow think that those who are unable to profit from their art are somehow entitled to that billboard space is just asinine. Either ban them or leave them alone.

March 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

yeah they’re artists. shitty artists. just like you have good cops and bad cops. see how that works? thanks!

March 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pissing and moaning won’t solve anything. It works that way both economically and politically.

Therefore, I will craft an open letter to the City Council that I will invite everyone in Tacoma to email, send or fax to <span class=“caps”>ALL</span> members of the Council, Mayor Strickland and Eric Anderson. Please, not only get this to Our elected leaders but also if you’re willing to sign, please be willing to back it up.

Physical address:

City of Tacoma, 747 Market St., Tacoma, WA 98402

email:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Letter is as follows:

March 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Britton

Vince is right, Ha! love it!  I guess we got to ban them!

March 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Esteemed Council Members, Mayor Strickland and Mr Anderson:

As we have all heard in the news recently, the City of Tacoma plans to go ahead with the electronic billboards agreement with Clear Channel, Inc.

It is worth reminding the City that the original 1997 ordinance not only will quite like stand up in court, but is also highly popular among the city’s 200,000 residents.  This was demonstrated in the recent council meeting where the vast majority of those present did not support the electronic billboards.

It would be redundant to tell you just how ugly these electronic eyesores will make Tacoma. It would be a waste of your time to repeat over and over how visual blight like these billboards not only decreases overall happiness for those who are forced to see them but also further harm Tacoma’s already not very decent reputation in this region.

A great economist once said “vote with your wallet”. That is an excellent idea and is firmly ingrained in our system of government. With that being said, I, the undersigned pledge to do just that. I hereby pledge that I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> <span class=“caps”>NOT</span> <span class=“caps”>VOTE</span> for any city council member who approves these visual atrocities. Furthermore, I pledge that I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> <span class=“caps”>BOYCOTT</span> all businesses (local or not) who will advertise on these digital billboards. Furthermore, I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> encourage everyone I know to do the same.

Tacoma is more than just an advertising corridor on I-5. The citizens of this city deserve a place to be proud of and We also deserve a city council and mayor who actually listen to what their electorate has to say. I honestly hope that the elected officials of this city listen to the People and have enough of a spine to just say no to Clear Channel.

Respectfully yours,

X________________________________________________________________

a proud citizen of Tacoma

March 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

NSHDscott

I know that I for one would hate these billboards less if Clear Channel kept their support posts in decent condition. They are brutally designed, and then left to rust. If we were to have digital billboards, I’d hope we could at least insist on a frequent maintenance schedule. It may be lipstick on a pig, but I’ll take it. Hopefully my point here will be totally moot anyway, when the City Council finds the cajones to stand up to big business and fight for the 1997 law.

March 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Praetorian

I’d be interested to hear what readers of exit133 think of smaller on-site digital signage given the outcry against billboards utilizing the same technology. Currently, the on-site signage is unregualted by the city of Tacoma in terms of brightness limits, buffering from sensitive uses, static display time limit of a single message, etc. These things could easily pop up on every commercial development complex in the next 5 years, blaring changing messages every 2 seconds without light restrictions or any other regulations to mitigate there use… should the city use this message on digital billboards from the public and extend it to all digital signage in the city???

March 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Katy

A little origin story, please. I understand the gripe toward digital billboards but is the additional issue with Clear Channel and their misuse/lack of upkeep of current billboards? I am generally ambivalent/bemused by billboards but occasionally they point me in the direction of an event or a local business/org I would like to support. If we had NO billboards, that’s a massive loss of city revenue as well as loss of revenue to local businesses/orgs.

March 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sunflower Universal Collective founder, RR Anderso

yes, and once the billboards are gone how am I going to justify making fun of the volcano for supporting an evil corporate billboard monopoly?

March 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Nick

“My point is that while the community obviously doesn’t like the idea of more billboards I haven’t seen anyone offering an artistic alternative.”

So what? Why does there need to be an artistic alternative? Why cant the alternative be to not have billboards?

This isn’t a case of everyone complaining but not having a better idea. There doesn’t need to be a better idea. For the most part, I think we all just want them gone.

March 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Trashtown

If we don’t want the billboards, all we have to do is destroy them, Or just paint or wheat-paste beauty over them. Don’t waste your time trying to get any city officials or corporate slime involved, they will never listen. Vote with your fist!

March 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Nick

Thanks Thorax, I’m pasting that into my email as we speak. Very well articulated!

March 29, 2011 at 5:14 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Nick

Just thought I’d share my version of the email sent to the council/mayor/Anderson:

March 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Nick

Esteemed Council Members, Mayor Strickland and Mr Anderson:

As I am sure you are aware, the City of Tacoma plans to move forward with the electronic billboard agreement with Clear Channel. Inc. I want to take a moment to voice my disapproval for this decision and to remind the council that it is never too late to act in the best interest of the city and its citizens.

Based on my understanding of the situation, it appears that the 1997 ordinance is all but guaranteed to withstand legal scrutiny. Pairing that with the opinions expressed at the planning commission’s hearing tells me that the city would have the legal and political high ground on this issue. Moving forward with this agreement simply does not make sense. It rewards an outside organization for willfully ignoring city code and regulations, increases the eyesore factor in a city that cannot afford it, and blatantly ignores the public outcry against it, made by the very citizens that positioned our leadership as leaders.

I realize that standing up for our beloved city isn’t easy and certainly not free, but surely it is worth the effort and money to do so in this case. Please don’t squander an opportunity to change our city in a meaningful way, earn some public goodwill, and demonstrate that our ordinances, laws, and regulations are worth more than the paper on which they are written.

I truly believe in the power of democracy and that our leadership is obligated to represent and support the interests of the citizens they represent. In that spirit, I hereby pledge that I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> <span class=“caps”>NOT</span> <span class=“caps”>VOTE</span> for any city council member that approves or otherwise abstains from opposing this agreement. In addition I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> <span class=“caps”>BOYCOTT</span> any business that advertises on <span class=“caps”>ANY</span> <span class=“caps”>BILLBOARD</span> within Tacoma city limits should this agreement be allowed to continue.

If you’ve made it this far into my letter, please accept my gratitude for listening. I hope you will consider my thoughts when it comes time to make a decision. Please show me and the other 200,000 citizens that elected you that you truly do represent the public will, that you have our best interests at heart, and that the voices of Tacoma citizens carry more weight than representatives from an organization based out of Phoenix, Arizona.

Respectfully yours,

Nick Williams

a proud citizen of Tacoma

—————————————-

Please feel free to plagiarize/modify as you see fit and send your own. Also, thanks to Thorax for the inspiration!

March 29, 2011 at 7:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Send this crap back to Seattle. And boycott the volcano!

March 29, 2011 at 8:04 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

The City of Tacoma has now bound together all of the public comment at the public hearing and sent in by letter, email and fax.

The documents can be viewed here:

Volume I

Volume II

Except for Diamond Parking, a couple billboard owners and a few groups hoping to get some free billboard space, nearly all of the 245 comments were against electronic billboards.

@Thorax: Yes, the Tacoma City Council elections in 2011 and 2013 should depend largely on the outcome of the billboard vote on the issue.

There is no issue I am aware of now posing such a threat to the quality of life to Tacomans right now.

March 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

City Funded aPolitical Cartoonist, RR Anderson

<span class=“caps”>TACOMIC</span> <span class=“caps”>PREDICTS</span> who votes in favor of clear channel <span class=“caps”>BILLBOARD</span> capitulation:

=====================

Strickland – yes

Walker – no

Manthou – yes

Campbell – no

Fey – no

Woodards – yes

Lonergan – yes

Mello – no

Boe – no

======================

March 30, 2011 at 7:57 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tim Smith

Mart E will vote yes me thinks.

March 30, 2011 at 8:07 am / Reply / Quote and reply

City Funded aPolitical Cartoonist, RR Anderson

Fey and Marty could go either way… but i’m an optimist

March 30, 2011 at 9:51 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Volcano Boycotting RR Anderson

<span class=“caps”>POLL</span>: Should feedtacoma.com boycott the @weeklyvolcano <span class=“caps”>RSS</span> until they do the right thing? tinyurl.com/4mnyfk7

March 30, 2011 at 1:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Catalyst

So…..the city that didn’t have enough money to help out their own Library system….suddenly can afford digital billboards? Interesting priorities, Tacoma….Very interesting.

I’m all for the art idea, but against spending money on more advertising. People like Tacoma, it’s not like these billboards are going to make everyone enjoy it that much more…

March 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kit-Kat

I really like the idea of turning the billboards into giant art projects.  Maybe we could split the billboards up?  Keep half of them as a viable marketing tool and turn the rest over to artists.

March 30, 2011 at 8:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

the moment we play that game, we lose.

There is already too much art in this town. The art chosen to go up on these things would be better kept to yourself.

March 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The best billboard art is the kind that doesn’t ask for permission to be put there.

March 30, 2011 at 10:31 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Indeed! If you’re an artist, just start putting your art up! Some billboards even have their own ladders built in

March 31, 2011 at 7:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Other people are doing it, why can’t you?

March 31, 2011 at 7:55 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Don’t wait for a citizen’s uprising; BE the citizen’s uprising!

March 31, 2011 at 7:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

I guess some of you folks never had a toy train set when you were kids. After you set up the track for the train then you set up the landscape. One of the most fun and colorful pieces is the toy billboards. They are mini-artworks—-Really neat to look at.

Some of us kids grew up to work for real rail companies and laid down real train track. Some of us became commercial artists.

Then the following generations brought the proliferation of car travel and modern suburban communities. Then the advent of the television, millions of televisions, brought unforseen social upheavel to our once green and pleasant land.

And now electronic billboards…

March 31, 2011 at 11:45 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

go back to sleep grandpa (eye roll)

March 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Mr. Anderson, your comments personify the warnings of science fiction writers—-Ladies and gentleman, witness the rise of the atomic punk.

March 31, 2011 at 12:39 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Tacoma needs more milk bars

March 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

And now electronic billboards…

and citizen journalists with handheld telephones with built-in camera’s and wireless transmitters; and tattooed bicyclists in leotards and their very own striped lanes;and smokeless public parks with doubtful pride festivals; and electric cars with dim drivers.

Tacoma is progressive. Isn’t it?…

March 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

spoken like a true lonely used car salesman.  Mofo, you can’t buy a time machine on the internet… you can never go back to 1984

March 31, 2011 at 9:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Duty now for the future!

March 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

rick

How fun!  I’m going to declare this first round goes to RR Anderson.  The snarky grandpa comment with the parenthetical eye roll was great!  Effective, witty, but not over the top… and the time machine/1984 follow up was also clever, amusing and effective.  Mofo struggled in round one.  He delivered inspired, eloquent, personal anecdotes and observations but fell just short of making any sense whatsoever…  at least to me… but I went to public schools.  However, I’m a big fan of Mofo as I’ve seen him deliver in the past, and am counting on him to tie it all together tomorrow so even my 97 IQ points can comprehend.  Sharpen your pencil, RR…. you may need to retort via cartoon.  I say the winner should receive one year of free billboard use.  Would it be ok to use a billboard as a medium to express opposition to billboards?

March 31, 2011 at 10:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

by all means, go meta rick… break down that fourth wall. whatever. I’m still trying to think of a train set with billboards?? I’ve had my fair share of trainsets and never once remember a billboard.  I think mofo is remembering that twilight zone episode with the man who awoke in a empty town only to discover at the end he was a plaything inside a giant little girl’s train set.  <span class=“caps”>MOFO</span>, are you at a library computer? Do you see a wall? Try feeling around for the invisible passage way back into our reality… I fear you may be unstuck…. in time

March 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

I don’t interpret billboards as blight because my concept of the medium was formed on a different basis that predated the current discussion.

It is a fact that I have many years of real world experience in various sectors of society. So, unlike Mr. Anderson’s typical comments (see #54), I don’t struggle to make sense of reality by comparing experience to popular fiction.

Likewise I would never argue for acquiring knowledge for the basis of action by reading blog commentary.

Most of what I’ve read on blogs concerning this topic involves young minds crying out in fear for the future.

Well kiddies spoonfed on Darwin’s theory of evolution, it appears that you don’t believe his view that the fittest are those who have learned to adapt to change.

Experience counts.

March 31, 2011 at 11:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

April fools!

April 1, 2011 at 8:01 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

is the bible in the fiction or non-fiction?  Is there a hidden homosexual agenda to obfuscate billboard freedomz of speech?

Mofo From the Hood has the answers!

April 1, 2011 at 11:32 am / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

volcano still sucks frighteningly bad. and note that this reflects on all. billboards or no billboards. they have like one maybe twi good writers, owen bates, and that one guy brett cihon, who wrote about feeling out of place surrounded by filthy hipsters in the new frontier (or lost among his own kind as he put it). like maybe the volcano billboard is not so far off…shudder

April 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

“This discussion about billboards as I first encountered it on Tacoma blogs was based on defining the medium as blight.

Experience counts.”  — Mofo

Also… you forgot… “<span class=“caps”>GET</span> <span class=“caps”>OFF</span> MY <span class=“caps”>LAWN</span>!!!”

April 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

“<span class=“caps”>GET</span> <span class=“caps”>OFF</span> MY <span class=“caps”>LAWN</span> [CLEAR <span class=“caps”>CHANNEL</span>]!!!”

April 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kevin

Seems that Mofo thinks that we need to “adapt and change” to whatever corporate America pushes on us.

Seems Mofo also thinks that all of us who do not want the existing bill boards or any bill boards are “young minds crying out in fear for the future.”

Thank you for calling me young.  But…. you are also wrong.

April 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Altered-Chords

Kevin – Consumers buy the crap.  Corporate america has been agressively trying to get me to drink budwieser and eat mcdonalds burgers for years.  They pay athletes huge sums of money and write on these billboards and still I don’t consume their crap.  I am ripping off the man because I watch <span class=“caps”>NFL</span> football and drink Pike Brewing’s Kilt Lifter scottish ale and make my own burgers!  Join in my struggle to topple Anheiser busch and McDonalds!

By the way – Lowbar – try this beer.  It has no discernable hop flavor or aroma and therefore, does not taste like grass or a chrismas tree.  Or go to the Swiss and have a pint of Irish Death.  (Altered Chords official rating: three thumbs up)

April 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

oh thanks for the tip. i don’t do that date-rapers bar the swiss. some one should toss a grenade in that place after hours.

April 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Altered-Chords

Oh it’s fine.  Just don’t set your beer down and your date won’t rape you.

April 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

awsome

April 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Back to the topic...

Back on topic…

From the Tacoma weekly:

City of Tacoma officials consider adjustments to 1997 ordinance

Earlier this year Tacoma City Council agreed to a settlement with Clear Channel Outdoor that would allow the company to replace some current billboards with 10 digital billboards, which are capable of displaying multiple images.

Currently Clear Channel has 253 billboards, of which 193 are considered non-conforming to city code. It has another 169 relocation certificates, which is the right to relocate a billboard to another area where they are allowed.

In 1988 the city placed a cap on the number of billboards allowed. In 1997 an ordinance was passed that was meant to phase out billboards considered to be too big or disruptive. It allowed companies to bank one future billboard for each one removed.

The agreement reached this year effectively settled a lawsuit Clear Channel filed against the city in federal court in 2007. The company claimed the ordinance violated its free speech rights.

Most slated for relocation are in districts that do not allow billboards, are too close to schools and churches, or they do not meet dispersal requirements. Some do not meet development standards, meaning they are too tall or in dilapidated condition.

City regulations do not apply on the areas of Tacoma inside the Puyallup Indian Reservation. State agencies are responsible for issuing permits for billboards visible from highways.

The city’s rules allow billboards in four zoning designations, but the reality is there are few places within those zones where they could be sited due to other restrictions, such as dispersal requirements. Because of this, city staff and council members discussed potential changes to the rules during the council’s Economic Development Committee meeting on Dec. 14.

Much of the discussion was on digital signs and regulations on static image times, limits on flashing lights and animation, lighting levels and energy efficiency.

Some members pondered whether Clear Channel should be required to devote some time on them to public service announcements.
Councilmember David Boe expressed the view that billboards are an “old-school” medium, even when using new technology.

“I do not see much value in billboards,” Councilmember Lauren Walker remarked.

Councilmember Joe Lonergan said while they could be considered historic relics, they will always have a place in society and that new technology would lower their cost as an advertising choice.

“One of the most iconic places in America is Times Square, which is all advertising,” he observed.

“The non-profit community loves billboards because they can get their messages out inexpensively,” Boe remarked.

April 2, 2011 at 8:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

bla bla bla. real people know what to do with those f’n billboards

April 3, 2011 at 4:22 am / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

if all else fails…

April 3, 2011 at 4:26 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

The replacement of static billboards with electronic billboards should be no surprise to anyone. For years other forms of popular media have waged a relentless campaign against nearly every industry that uses the medium of paper for communication.

Millions of people lost their means of income because of other people who have promoted a “Paperless Society.” Major industries, based on renewable resources, such as Forestry, Paper Mills, Printing and Publishing, and Mailing Services have been nearly destroyed because of people who have promoted a self-interest counter-agenda under the banner “Green Revolution.”

Yes even the billboard industry has had to struggle to adapt. At one time billboards required Graphic Designers, Sign Makers, Paper and Paper Hangers, and Wood and Carpenters to shape the medium. All of these components are renewable resources. Yet, all of these components along with the industries noted above have been systematically redefined and categorized as blight.

In view of the havoc caused by false interpretations, the whole of chain of events that has led to the current billboard controversy was not an inevitable change.

Why the false outrage?

April 3, 2011 at 9:04 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

as obama would say non-profit reliance on billboard table-scraps is a false choice.

<span class=“caps”>DOWN</span> <span class=“caps”>WITH</span> <span class=“caps”>BILLBOARDS</span>! <span class=“caps”>BOYCOTT</span> <span class=“caps”>THE</span> <span class=“caps”>VOLCANO</span>! <span class=“caps”>DEATH</span> TO <span class=“caps”>CLEAR</span> <span class=“caps”>CHANNEL</span>! <span class=“caps”>LONG</span> <span class=“caps”>LIVE</span> <span class=“caps”>STARLIGHT</span>.

April 3, 2011 at 10:33 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Altered-Chords

Mofo – the loss of jobs due to going “paperless” is nothing when compared to the millions of stone knife maker jobs that were lost when charcoal was invented ushering in the “iron” age.

RR – starlight – Now that’s old school!

April 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Insightful stuff A-C. Please return Mr. Anderson’s Kindle.

April 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

paperless? hell yeah get rid of that shitty mill. job loss? you probably hated your job at the mill anyways.the main grievance with all this is placement of these boards, like try to put one that close to a home i bought. i dare you. and two, if the content writers of these boards were to also write for all the comedy shows we like, and hbo series, there would be no likable shows because the content writers for billboard are complete <span class=“caps”>IDIOTS</span> who were idiots in highschool and further continued they’re waste of the planet’s oxygen through college and now at the tragically unedgy agencies they work at under bosses who followed the same paths of idiocracy a generation earlier.

April 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Electronic billboards that change images every eight seconds or less is the type of medium best suited for the under 40 year-old Tacoman demographic. Test results confirm that the best communication method involves displaying pictures with no words which in effect engages the viewer to project his feelings.

Reaction rather than informed response is a predictable phenomenon because transmissions from electronic billboards bypass the inferred thinking part of pre-40 year-old brains.

Although the existence of the demographic’s thinking part of the brain has not been empirically proved or disproved, opposition to the E-boards typically involves confused discourse and unorganized mob revolt fantasying.

April 3, 2011 at 10:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

digital screens are vulnerable to siege weapons which are popular again thanks to pumpkin chunkin’ hobbyists.  Or maybe you’re to lazy to learn the fine art of pumpkin projectile technology…  use bold cutters and flip the off switch.

April 4, 2011 at 8:28 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Right. At this point it is necessary to make a distinction between a subject of experience and an object of experience.

I will allow room for the possibilty of electronic billboard installation in Tacoma, but so far this ideal world of reality is outside of space and time conditions of experience.

April 4, 2011 at 8:42 am / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

i think the only distinction is that the work that is displayed on a billboard, whether its glowing or pealing the fuck off, need not to be the work of fucking idiots. the only dull marketing design acceptable is that of the non-profits. every other industry needs to either step its game up and hire real talent to create their ads or forget it. capitalism is just a fucking phase and if you don’t have the wits to make a good ad in this age of information than do us all a favor and jump of a bridge. i mean, if RR’s work sucked ass would anyone be buying it? no. i don’t mind corporate america trying to fuck with my head as long as they do a gdamn good job of it.

April 4, 2011 at 12:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RR Anderson

Trouble is, you make one of those ‘wow’ ads on a billboard and you’ll have ‘wow’ followed by a horrendous traffic accident.  Fortunately if you are an organ donor, your organs can be harvested and one death, though tragic will mean that others may live… possibly many others.

And I do not know where anyone gets off saying my work does not suck a$$.

April 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Commercial art and graphic design is a serious discipline. Why try to demean it by asking the public to imagine Mr. Anderson’s alternative artwork posted giant-size above rooftops?

Besides, Mr. Anderson openly shares councilman Walker’s view as noted at #66, “I do not see much value in billboards.”

There is plenty of information available regarding the value of billboards for those want to read it.

April 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

uh no one is asking to see a giant tacomic by the side of the road, just something less gag worthy than the volcano is able to muster. god that magazine is so garbage. their website makes me want to cry. they should just go ahead and rename itself “the fort lewis autotrader shitbird tavern mag”

April 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mofo from the Hood

Sure, maybe electronic billboards will distract drivers and increase accidents.

At one time the Tacoma area had giant motion picture screens at drive-in theatres. Remarkably, documented sources show that the vocal minority opposed to electronic billboards are the illegitimate accidents of women distracted by flickering images.

April 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

AreteTacoma

So…These billboards may actually contribute to our own rate of natural increase. That could save institutions that depend on high birthrate, like social security. Electronic billboards for all. So long as they discourage contraceptives. Ahh the good ol days.

April 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply