Marlene’s Market Backs Out On Point Ruston

It looks like bad news for anyone who was looking forward to shopping for organic food at a new Marlene’s Market in Point Ruston. According to the TNT, the organic grocer has backed out on its agreement to open a third location as an anchor tenant at the Point Ruston mixed-use development.

Apparently Marlene Beadle, the founder and namesake of the market, is still up for the deal, but the TNT quotes her explaining that the rest of the family just isn’t up for the risk and timing of the now cancelled expansion.

The first building at Point Ruston, which houses the Copperline Apartments above several first-floor retailers, is apparently still on track to open this spring – maybe as soon as early April – along with more of the Point Ruston Waterwalk. The Point Ruston developer is actively seeing another grocer to fill the yet-to-be-developed space that would have housed Marlene’s, and plans to start construction on the first of the two condominium buildings within a month.

We liked the idea last year when we heard of the deal for the 20,000 square-foot Marlene’s at Point Ruston complete with outdoor seating. Sadly, it seems we’ll need to file this in the too-good-to-be-true folder. At least for now.

Comments

Emily

A year-round, covered Farmers Market would be nice.  Olympia has got a great set up.

March 5, 2013 at 1:48 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sid

Nalley Valley would be a great place to have a year round Farmer Market.  Plenty of room and industrial place.

March 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

tacoma_1

That is an incredibly geographically isolated location for a retail shop of any kind. You are surrounded by water and hill.  For any business to survive there, they would have to be a destination all by itself. It’s perfect for a hotel or apartment bldg, but no one is going to drive out to Ruston to buy groceries.

I know, Tacoma needs some more nail salons and tattoo shops, maybe something like that could go in there.

March 5, 2013 at 6:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sid

A cafe would be nice, but not a market.  I Don’t like the thought of living in such a nice place and then having to deal with folks with groceries.  That place should be left alone as a living area, relaxed.

March 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

John

I’d hardly call Ruston “incredibly geographically isolated”.  It’s less than ten minutes from downtown, and not much more than that from most of the north end.  If a cool enough place is there (and not necessarily a destinantion location), it will do fine.  While I’ve never really been a fan of Marlene’s, it’s too bad they felt they needed to back out.  A year-round farmers market could do very well, if set up something like Oly’s.

March 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

talus

I’m pretty sure Marlene’s would have worked there, but oh well.  Maybe a Trader Joe’s, although I’d rather they moved into the abandoned Save-A-Lot on Hilltop.

March 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

fred davie

I will predict that soon we’ll be hearing that the proposed Ruston Movie Theater will only proceed if the city council waives the city admissions tax.

You heard it first here at Exit133.com

March 7, 2013 at 8:55 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jake

@talus I second a Trader Joe’s at the Hilltop (former) Save-a-Lot location!

March 7, 2013 at 8:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

talus

Tell ‘em how you feel!: www.traderjoes.com/a…

March 7, 2013 at 9:20 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

JJ

I think that Sid has got a great idea for a location.

Nalley Valley I like that

March 8, 2013 at 6:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

ET

I would like to see Uwajimaya make it’s return to Tacoma, whether it be at this location, or any where else in the city.  Another option could be Freight House Square..

March 11, 2013 at 6:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Renee

Oh nooooo!  My family was really looking forward to shopping at Marlene’s so near home.  I live in the Stadium district and it would be under a 10 minute drive max, sans freeway. This seems like such a perfect location for those in Stadium, downtown, Ruston and the Proctor district.  I’m so surprised they backed out. I <span class=“caps”>WILL</span> still go to the Marlene’s by the Tacoma Mall as I know do, but with far less frequency, as it’s not very convenient.  It has a real out-of- the-way feel to it and is a bit too small for the “long” trip.  Marlene’s on the water was going to be my “go to” store for all my grocery needs, as I expected it to be as large as the Federal Way Marlene’s.  So sad. :-(

March 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Renee

Really??  I was all excited to shop all organic so close to home.  Now I find what I need at 3 different stores, but was looking forward to this Marlene’s having everything I needed in one stop.

March 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

talus

@13: The Tacoma Food Co-op is all organic and closer to Stadium than Ruston.

March 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Greg S.

I really like the size of the Marlene’s in Fed Way, but rarely drive there as it’s pretty out of the way.  Was hoping to use this one a lot more. Hopefully some kind of a big natural food store moves in there.

March 24, 2013 at 9:19 am / Reply / Quote and reply

altered chords

I do not like organic food.  Too expensive.  They should put in a radio shack.

March 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply