Monkeyshines 2010 is Now!

Just in case you haven’t heard, Ms. Monkey decided to give her gift to Tacoma early this year. For the seventh year in a row, Monkeyshines, Tacoma’s anonymous glass art project, has hidden hand-blown glass balls and glass medallions throughout the streets and neighborhoods of Tacoma in celebration of Chinese New Year.

While Chinese New Year isn’t until this weekend, these little gifts went out last night surprising … just about everybody.

I found my Year of the Tiger glass ball in downtown Tacoma. A few folks at Suite133 found a total of two silver dollar sized medallions in Fireman’s Park.

Game on! Good luck and happy hunting!

Have you found one? What’s your Monkeyshines story for this year?

Previously on Exit133:
Monkeyshines Returns for 2009 – Year of the Ox
Welcome to the Year of the Rat

Comments

Davest

It’s fun watching people out my office window as they search through the park.

February 9, 2010 at 6:09 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pegsterdtown

I have been waiting for this.  Happy hunting everyone!!!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 6:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Gritcitygirl

I found mine nestled in the paw of the lion statue at Wright Park.

Thank you Monkeyshiners for making my day!

February 9, 2010 at 6:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pedsnurse

I found a glass ball in a traffic circle on North L street. Thank you bunches!

February 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Cecilia

I found mine going into Jones Hall at the University of Puget Sound this morning! Thanks, Monkeyshines!

February 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

uwtCurt

I found mine in front of my office door at UW Tacoma. I walked past it at least 5 times before noticing it was cleverly hidden in a corner of the Science Building. Good times.

February 9, 2010 at 7:40 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Gary

This is my first year looking for them. About how many do they usually put out? I read something that said last year was about 600? And is it just mostly north Tacoma?

February 9, 2010 at 7:44 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sharon Styer

I just found one near the bike rack outside the Music Building where I work at the University of Puget Sound.  Thanks Monkeyshines.

February 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

TacomaUncle

I’ve found about 12 so far!  So cool!  I plan on giving them to my nephews & nieces.  They’re awfully busy with their video games and such so they don’t get outside much….

Just kidding everone.  I haven’t found a single one.  I haven’t even looked yet.  I hope to find <span class=“caps”>ONE</span>, and only one, tonight when I walk the dogs.  Thanks, Monkeyshines!

February 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Travis

I walked Ruston Way from the fireboat to the Lobster Shop at lunch today. It was a nice stroll. A glass ball would have been a bonus, but I didn’t find one.

February 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Shannon Byrd

Once again…more beauty in Tacoma!  I remember the first year and every year since.  This event is mos def one of the things that remind me why I love my home and gave me a little pang of home sickness.  Thank you Monkeyshiners for bringing some light to our wonderful city!

February 9, 2010 at 11:09 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

NorthEndJustin

I found mine laying in the driftwood on the beach near Jack Hyde park.  Good luck to those still out looking!

February 9, 2010 at 11:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kayla

I found a glass disc with a tiger on it in my back pack after school today! I wonder who put it there……

February 10, 2010 at 12:51 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Robin

I think I know, Kayla!  Thanks for the Monkeyshines madness everyone.  Now, let’s get out there and pick up all that litter that I hadn’t noticed until I started searching for the magic tiger balls.

February 10, 2010 at 1:05 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tyra

I found my tiger medallion outside of the W.W. Seymour Conservatory in a planter. This is the first year I haven’t been looking for one.  I waited until I was inside before I jumped around like a fool.  Thank you.

February 10, 2010 at 1:19 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Medallion Finder

Thankfully I googled Monkeyshines today knowing that the new year was up incoming or I would of never known! On the corner of Oakes and 6th I decided to peek into the ‘Homes and Apartments’ bin and there was a tiger medallion!

February 10, 2010 at 2:40 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Cindy D.

I found mine in the dirt ‘garden’ of the Skippers on Pacific Ave. Thank you so much. What a treasure to find with my 5 year old grandson. We are thrilled to have been so lucky. We will treasure this beautiful glass ball.

February 10, 2010 at 2:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Kayla

I’ve been out looking all night and haven’t found anything yet! I think they have been found or they are hidden very well this year! Maybe I’ll have better luck tomorrow in the daylight!

February 10, 2010 at 4:11 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Kayla

How many were hidden?

February 10, 2010 at 4:13 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Nancy Piercy

I also found a medallion in an ashtray on the plaza of Wyatt Hall on the <span class=“caps”>UPS</span> campus.  I have never smoked but I am glad I checked the ashtray.  Thank you for the fun and madness of searching.

February 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Jessica

I was jealous when I arrived at work yesterday to find out both David and Kristi had each found a medallion in Fireman’s Park.  This morning on my walk in I looked into the old Faucett Water Fountain and saw cigarette buts, then looked at the fountain at the front and found a beautiful glass ball monkeyshine!  Grabbing it from the skanky water wasn’t so fun, but it sure put a smile on my face – Thanks Monkeyshiners!

February 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Derek

Another monkeyshine ball was found this morning in front of Matador.

The question in our office is whether these are trickling out this year. Several folks swear they checked the fountain where Jessica @21 found one this morning. And the Matador one was so obvious it couldn’t have been there all day yesterday. Or maybe we aren’t very observant …

February 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Patricia Richotte

My husband found one at the park and ride on 56th and Alaska yesterday. This inspired us to go out and look for more. My granddaughter, daughters and I had a wonderful day in the sun looking for treasure.Thank you Monkeyshines!

February 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Gillian

I found a medallion on the beach at Ruston way 5pm yesterday!

February 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Charles

I’ve tried to find one of these balls with no success.  Quite frankly, if someone is willing to sell, I am willing to buy.  I’m thinking $20.  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 10, 2010 at 11:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Lacey

My husband I went out last night and again this morning, but no luck yet…

However, I am a teacher and today I spread the word to my students about Monkeyshines. They are all really excited. Hopefully between the 25 of them and the 2 of us someone will find one!

February 11, 2010 at 12:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

DeDe

Last year “notagain” wanted to swap a dog year ball for an ox.  Do you still?  I am a dog and found an ox last year.

We found a broken tiger medallion at Mason Middle School last night, but still looking for a whole one or a ball.

February 11, 2010 at 1:04 am / Reply / Quote and reply

notagain

notagain still wants to swap a dog for an ox.  I hope we can make contact.

February 11, 2010 at 2:06 am / Reply / Quote and reply

sara

My friend and I spent 5-6 hours today looking for globes with no luck! We are exauhsted! I don’t know if I can do it again tomorrow! 2 days in a row and not one glimps. I’m confused this year! Maybe that was the plan! Anyone know how many went out this year?

February 11, 2010 at 4:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Greg

Tuesday morning, we found a beautiful blue ball on the playground equipment at Point Defiance. It’s a great memento to send back to Chicago with my guests who made the actual discovery. Thanks, Monkeyshines!

February 11, 2010 at 5:37 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Chris

Spent a couple hours tonight seaching… No luck yet. I will try again tomorrow at lunch when I won’t need flashlights…. I did get some strange looks from people for looking through the Trees and bushes and planter boxes with a big maglight flashlight.

February 11, 2010 at 6:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

DeDe

notagain…..delorislackey@yahoo.com

February 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Peter Peter

I had all but give up.

I just found a Monkeyshines medallion at the Spanish Steps. It was in the dirt in between some rather disgusting bits of urban refuse. Washing hands now. Again and again. Out, out damn spot!

February 11, 2010 at 3:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Jeannine

Kayla and I found a medallion at <span class=“caps”>UPS</span> in the rocks on Tuesday night.

February 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

offbroadway

Ha – I can’t believe I forgot about it, and I’m glad the ball-stashers got them out.  The medallions this year are a nice addition.  I’m glad once again not all are stashed downtown. It’s cool one was found at the 56th Park and Ride (@23).  My kids still talk about the boar ball (ahem) I found few years ago by the Spanish Steps.  Such a wonderful gift to the community.  I’m not ging to go looking this year, but I hope one finds me.

February 12, 2010 at 7:06 am / Reply / Quote and reply

notagain

trade successful! Thanks DeDe and thanks Monkeyshiners for all the fun over the years!

February 12, 2010 at 8:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Nancy Piercy

Yesterday, 2/11, I found another medallion resting quietly in a little tree behind the music building on campus. I love this activity.  Gives me a reason to walk around campus.

February 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

mamacakes

Found mine on 56th….thx it made my day!

February 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

rainlover

Out walking the dog this Saturday morning, what’s that at the base of a streetlamp? Oh joy! it’s a tiger medallion! Thank you monkeyshiners, what a wonderful project.

February 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dani

Hi all, fun stuff. I need a ball from last year, can trade for a ball from 2 years ago. anyone?

thanks!

ps so far found a medallion.

February 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The Hamilton Family

We went out several times today. We looked all over the north end. No luck. We all just looked like crazy people with flash lights in the rain.

February 14, 2010 at 6:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply

jewls

Found some at red cross downtown Tacoma

February 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dani

crazy talent out there!!

February 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jewls

Is there anyone out here finding them also or r there only a few.. didn’t it just start.. I keep lookin but…. nooooo, please post if u found something.

February 15, 2010 at 4:04 am / Reply / Quote and reply

NorthEndJustin

Jewls – They hid the balls and medallions Tuesday morning.  I’m sure there are still some out there…the question is where??

February 15, 2010 at 6:06 am / Reply / Quote and reply

jewls

R u sure northend justin that they put them out on tues? Did they put them all out or a few each day? And do u know how many balls and mediallons were each put out? Cuz it sounds like there were only a handful of each. And why’d they put them out early? This would help if u or n e one else can answer my questions… thanks jewls

February 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Derek

R u sure northend justin that they put them out on tues?

We are sure they went out Tuesday. Everything else – just speculation.

February 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kyle

Darn I’m so mad I disentangle find one I looked and looked but I only fond out about them on Sunday I feel stupid

February 16, 2010 at 5:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Brandon

My friend found two really awesome one’s in the same day!! Talk about luck.. She gifted one to me.  I think that means that I am the luckiest ever!  Thanks Cassie xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

February 16, 2010 at 9:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tim

I was disappointed in my search. I would have thought something would be at the Chinese Reconciliation Park or near the Northwest Detention Center. I’m happy to those that found what you have…just sad I have not.

February 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dani

hey tim me and the hubby found two medallions i did not find anything last year it was way lame we were going to hid it next year lol but if ya want to contact me we would be happy to share .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 20, 2010 at 12:59 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Rachel

I found my ball over the entrance to Seward residence hall at University of Puget Sound.  It’s my first year in Tacoma and I’d only heard about them the day before from a friend of mine.  It really made my day, what a great tradition!

February 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

poster girl

Whether you find one or not, the joy lies in being outdoors, searching for something that was meant to be found. Thank you-this is one of my favortie Tacoma traditions.

February 21, 2010 at 6:36 am / Reply / Quote and reply

frank

i fanly found one i went to go buy some strings for my g tair and the guy gave me one   horray wahoo

February 21, 2010 at 11:09 pm / Reply / Quote and reply