Monkeyshines 2011 - The Year of the Rabbit

In the waning hours of a day I can no longer distinguish from the rest of this week, I found myself standing in the middle of a crowded glass art shop. Quietly purposeful artists were gathered inside, crafting colorful glass balls and medallions stamped with the image of a rabbit. The Chinese New Year is approaching, and Monkeyshines is returning to Tacoma.

Every year since the year of the Monkey, an anonymous team has conspired to create hundreds of these glass balls and then carefully hide them all over the city. This unique art event has attracted a a slew of devotees, drawn by the beauty of the glass art and the thrill of the treasure hunt. When the first Monkeyshines ball or medallion is found, the news travels quickly. Social networks suddenly spring to life, teeming with the happy declarations and discovery tips of a community drawn together by glass art.

The shadowy Monkeyshines operation is tight-lipped. No one is told when the artworks will be hidden. No one is told where. The artists explained to me that their hope is for finders to have the joy of finding and keeping one piece of art. Should serendipity lead to more, the generous spirit of Monkeyshines demands that the finder join in the secret by telling no one. Someone else will surely find it – the Monkyeshines glass hunters are persistent and numerous.

Approximately 500 pieces of glass art will be made this year. The rabbit designs they bear were created by two local artists, and they are beautiful. There is little else I am at liberty to tell you, dear reader. Will Beautiful Angle compliment Monkeyshines with a special release again this year? Who can say? But I can share with you these pictures I snapped while trying to stay out of the way of the overwhelming production. Good luck.

Previously on Exit133: Monkeyshines 2010 is Now

Comments

You're Welcome

I haven’t found 1 yet.  This is the year, I just know it!

January 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

Didn’t find one last year so hoping we will this year!! Someone please let us know when they’re out! We’re coming from Graham. Good luck everyone!

January 27, 2011 at 6:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

amy bell

This is the best tradition ever!!! Ya know I was shopping downtown and a very nice lady in a shop had the first monkeyshine a monkey how cool is that she keeps it with her everyday.I have three from past years and am always looking for a case for them now but nothing seems to be good enough for my little treasures. I just want to say thanks to every one who works so hard to do this for the city you guys rock!!!

January 28, 2011 at 6:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Juliet

More monkeyshines in South Tacoma, please!

January 29, 2011 at 4:20 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

My wife and I and baby are so excited and looking! Our car broke down so we are limited to south tacoma area too for now! we know we’ll find one this year!

January 29, 2011 at 7:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

Looked around a little this morning with the kids, no luck so far. Planning on going on a late night walk tonight.

January 29, 2011 at 8:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

Has anyone had any luck out there?

January 30, 2011 at 7:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitch & Lisa

We checked out Wright park today, found nothing but still had a great time.

January 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

SARA

Waiting!!!!!!!!!

January 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

SARA

Still Waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31, 2011 at 6:25 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tim Smith

Yes please don’t forget South Tacoma…many children go to South Park and it would be so super for them to find one. As I understand the “drop” date is 3 February…yes???

The word is spreading through the local schools so everyone is excited.

January 31, 2011 at 2:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dr.K

lol, don’t get your hopes up on neighborhood parks. There’s a 10-11 year old neighbor boy that has checked jefferson park (our local park)for 3 years in a row and never found anything. He says he still plans on going again for a 4th year. He just knows one of these years he’ll get one!(sure hope so,he’s a nice kid)

January 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anita

We searched wrights park on sunday morning. 8a.m.. My sis found the one they hid last year there on the lawn bowling. We search every morning from 8-9 b4 school. This is our 4th year trying. I hope we find a rabbit this yr. My sis has a 5 yr collection.

January 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

H

I have been out searching for the past two years. No Luck, but this will be my year to find one!

February 1, 2011 at 4:45 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

Searched Wright park and the waterfront this morning, no luck yet..The suspense is killing me!!

February 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

Monkeyshines, where are you??!

February 3, 2011 at 5:02 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Redheadnikk

Anywhere yet?

February 3, 2011 at 5:11 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tim wright

<span class=“caps”>OMG</span> I thought I saw one but it was a pile of trash with an empty 4loko

February 3, 2011 at 6:24 am / Reply / Quote and reply

NG

www.meetup.com/curio…

not sure I like the idea of Seattle peeps coming down and taking our beautiful gritty city art. I know Seattle sure doesn’t seem to appreciate me much when I spend 10$ in parking and then buy their wares. I still get snubbed when I say I am from Tacoma…Maybe that is me just being selfish, but come on we love this city and earned the right to find these joyous glass balls.

February 3, 2011 at 7:27 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Ball lover

Waiting at the matador before the hunt for balls begins… Stay away from our balls!

February 3, 2011 at 7:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Ms_Monkey

It’s on!

February 3, 2011 at 1:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Tim Smith

A long walk through the Main Strip of South Tacoma Way, and exploration of South Park and the Skip Vaughn Park near Wapato Hills revealed nothing. I was hoping to find my ‘shine’ but I’ll have to keep searching.

February 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Travis

Found a ball in the paws of the Wright Park lion at about 5:15 AM. My brother found a medallion in the paws of the other lion. We later ran into someone downtown who had looked in the same spots a few minutes before we got there. We must’ve been just behind the hiders.

February 3, 2011 at 1:31 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Lacey

Found our monkeyshines orb a little after 5am this morning. It was hidden in a flower pot outside the conservatory at wright park. We have been searching for a few years, but this is the first one we ever found. Happy hunting!

February 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

rainlover

Thanks to all who make this happen, we look forward to monkeyshines all year!

February 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Daniel

i took a walk up down 6th and through Old Town just before 6am today and came across nothing. Hoping it’s not because my eyesight is as sad as my heart is now.

February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

imajine

Thank you monkeyshines! I jogged up and down the waterfront for an hour starting around 4:30 this morning, and finally found my first ever orb! Found another later on near the new Chinese monument in Jack Hyde. One for each of my Rabbit friends! Happy year of the Rabbit everyone.

February 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

andrea

Found a medallion this morning in the planter in front of the conservatory @ wrights park @5:30ish. Thanks monkeyshines!

February 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

baller

a 20 foot tall woman with “welcoming” arms gave me a beautiful yellow rabbit ball! happy new year!!

February 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Willie

hehehe! I saw the medallion in front of the conservatory this morning but left it since I had already found a ball.

Glad someone snatched it up quick!

:-)

February 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Jmac

got a surprise in front of Tempest. Stoked about my ball <span class=“caps”>AND</span> that it was in front of one of my fav watering holes!

February 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dylan

I’m 11, and I go to lowell school. I don’t have much time to look, but I found one at Jefferson Park! I’ve looked there for years! I found a really cool one. Thank you, monkey shines!

February 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Lani

I found one! A lovely purple glass ball, near my work at Mary Bridge, tucked in a corner behind some landscaping. Thank you Monkeyshines!

February 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Travis

Gorgeous:

February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Michael

No luck yet, searched waterfront and old town. We did manage to pick up some trash while we were looking.

February 3, 2011 at 3:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anita

Ok so after waking up the kids @ 5:30 and checking Motorcycle Park,Lincoln Park,Firemans Park,Proctor District,The Water Front, Stadium High, We finally found 1 @ <span class=“caps”>UPS</span> @ the top of the water fountain in the lion’s mouth! My poor son had to strip down to his basketball shorts barefoot and climb in the water to the top of this 15ft statue to retreive it! We got yelled at by maintenance and almost got security called on us! Really? Thanks monkeyshines!

February 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ms_Monkey

@Anita…That’s a <span class=“caps”>WAY</span> better story than just lying in the bushes…

February 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

redheadnikk

sigh… saw the medallion that @anita and her son got earlier in the morning didn’t think it could be because of the water! Way to go Anita’s son! also saw a ball and a medallion get found in front of me in the back of <span class=“caps”>UPS</span>. Knew I should have not let my hunting bubble keep me from that area, it would have been mine. Well just more hunting to be had!

February 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

SARA

Took my friends to the airport this morning @ 2:30am, decided I would hunt on the way home. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Saw lots of other people out hunting too. Went home took my daughter to school and continued the hunt till around 8:30 am I was ready to give up the hunt when driving home through the water front I saw what looked like a white baseball near the base of a tree, so I turned around and went back to the last pull through @ the waterfront got out and walked a few trees down and sure enough it was my Lucky Day! A jogger was running by at the same time and I swear she looked right at it but kept going, maybe she didn’t know what it was, Heck I wasn’t even sure till I was a few feet from it that it was a glass ball.Coulda been garbage. Happy Chinese New Year! Thank You Monkeyshines I also look forward to this event every year! I got alot of exercise this morning too! I’m going to take a nap! Thank You!

February 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Melanie Manista-Rushforth

Had my hunting dogs out this morning and found one along 6th Ave.  The dogs found two cats.

February 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

halleyrebecca

Found mine early this morning walking my dog on the way to work. It was tucked into the branches of one of the round trees across from the Varsity Grill on Broadway. The <span class=“caps”>BIA</span> Security officer I ran into while walking told me he’d seen a number of people out hunting already (at 6:45 a.m.!).

February 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Andrea

I looked over the <span class=“caps”>UPS</span> signs on Alder before I had to leave for work.  Should have walked further onto campus towards the fountain!  Great find!  I am now stuck at work and cannot hunt until this evening.  I’m holding out hope there may still be something to find…  Next year I need to take the day off.

February 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

ballhunter

Found one on the doorstep of <span class=“caps”>TASC</span> Building. Gorgeous.

February 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

notagain

saw a facebook report of a find at <span class=“caps”>UWT</span>, along the steps.

February 3, 2011 at 6:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

my feet hurt!

im in south tacoma, jogged/walked around my area this morn… are all monkeyshines hidden already or are there more to be hidden? seems like 500 in one night is alot.

Am I wasting my time looking in this area? I am just limited cuz my car broke down.

anyway heres where i looked:

56th and orchard to South Park, south park to wapato, wapato to S. tacoma way. any advice

maps.google.com/maps…

February 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

monkey master

well my shiner firends there are 500 to find and there everywere and my southtacoma firends i did find my 2011 ball there i did see more and left them for other hunters so dont give up hope there still there. its crazy my wife got me in too this and i more then enjoy it. thank u all for getting tacoma together and lets do it for many years to come so much more to say but time to sleep. i will talk with all soon

February 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

monkey master

so no luck on shines for me but i did find marbles everywhere, anyone else?

February 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

abby

lol sorry last post was from me Abby not my lucky husband lol

February 3, 2011 at 7:04 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

crafternoon

Found one on <span class=“caps”>MLK</span> and 11th! This is the third year I’ve looked and the first time I’ve spotted one. Also found a couple marbles at people’s park. Thanks!

February 3, 2011 at 7:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anita

<span class=“caps”>RRRR</span> to bad for work. I had to stop hunting. We will be back out as soon as that school bell rings. My class really enjoyed my adventure stories and looking at the medallion. I hope we find an orb. I’m staying positive that there are some left!

February 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

broadweezy

Here’s what I found: a dead bird, a stray cat, a landscape employee who looked kinda cute, a free parking space, a dozen empty bottles of bacardi in a planter, a few decent looking graffiti tags, someone’s lost jacket outside of the Dragonboat club, numerous piles of doodoo, and my sanity at Corina Bakery.

February 3, 2011 at 7:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

broadweezy

Oh yeah, and somewhere in Tacoma… underneath an overpass…there is a homeless dude…chillin, with a whole collection of these things and laughing at all of us with a wry smile saying “mwahahahaha, I got yo’ monkeyshines b****ez!”

February 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

lol @ broadweezy,

If there was, I wouldnt be able to find him either ha

February 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

marble man

hi all thanks for the fun found one ball.left marbles wherever i went for days for otthers to find.  t town is the best just dont tell anyone.  thank you monkeyshines

February 3, 2011 at 8:22 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RadRed

Found one floating lightly on top of a bush outside the Library at <span class=“caps”>UPS</span>…almost walked by this pretty little jem! Happy New Year!

February 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Susan

This was my 1st year looking. Went out a few times this last week at 3am nothing! But today I found one on the Ruston Water front sitting on a bench near Losbter Shop, just for me. I am a rabbit, so very excited to have found one. Thanks ms Monkey and crew, I had a blast!

February 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Verne

After waking at 4am and searching for 3 hours this morning to arrive late to work, then sneaking out early to continue hunting for another 4 hours, it’s dark, I’m tired and I really want one.  My wife is due later this year and I really want a Rabbit ball to match my new rabbit.  If your willing to sell a rabbit ball e-mail me .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 4, 2011 at 1:25 am / Reply / Quote and reply

pinkmonkey

Verne – I had a message I tried to send to your email address…it didn’t work.  Can you repost your email address?

February 4, 2011 at 2:34 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Christina

All my diligence paid off. I found a beautiful multi colored ball with yellow spikes at the waterfront! Thanks Monkeyshines!! :)

February 4, 2011 at 3:08 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Konagirl_66

Looked on my way to work. Looked on my hour lunch break. Looked on the way home while thinking “I should have taken the day off to look for one in the daylight”. Went home and got my boys for our yearly quest to find the glass balls.I found a beautiful multicolored speckled one in a small tree that lines the exit of Tobey Jones. Thank You Monkeyshine!

February 4, 2011 at 3:56 am / Reply / Quote and reply

MojoRunner

I searched for a couple of hours this morning on the in Old Town and on the waterfront with the Photo Guru.  I think we got there a little too late for the ones found near the new Chinese Pagoda.  But then later my wife found one by Alfred’s on Puyallup Ave.  Thanks Monkeyshines.

February 4, 2011 at 4:23 am / Reply / Quote and reply

orber

Hey I looked all day and a friend found one, cool for her but I’m wondering.  Does anybody know if they put them all out at once or diff days? And what’s up with all the fruit in tacoma???

February 4, 2011 at 4:29 am / Reply / Quote and reply

MojoRunner

Oh, and thanks Marble Man.  I found one of your marbles the other day in Pt. Defiance park near the Pagoda.  I knew it was a good sign.

February 4, 2011 at 4:42 am / Reply / Quote and reply

kelly

hey pinkmonkey can you email me to please .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 4, 2011 at 6:47 am / Reply / Quote and reply

De

Would really like a rabbit ball.  If you found an extra and are willing to part with one please email me.  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

mamasweets

Going out again after 14 hours…yes 14 hours of searching all over tacoma I came home empty handed, this is my first year without finding something in the first day…very discourage but gonna keep on…thanks Monkeys for the week I have came to have a love/hate relationship…LOL!!! Plz Keep this up…I love finding new places I never knew where here…and I grew up in Tacoma..been here 34 yrs..! thx Monkeys!!!!! but I do think we need a tracking devise…LOL at least something to say they are still out there…

February 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ernie

Here’s the one I found!

thanks Ms Monkey and gang!

February 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MamaCrab

<span class=“caps”>THANK</span> <span class=“caps”>YOU</span>!!! I found a beautiful one ball. As Mamasweets said I love finding new places while wandering threw Tacoma. Thank you so much for doing this for our city. It has become tradition for my Sis and I to go out searching along with a freind. Lots of good times filled with laughter and for this I <span class=“caps”>THANK</span> <span class=“caps”>YOU</span>!!  Is there a way to possibly donate to the project?

February 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Peter Peter

We went out fairly late last night and found two medallions – one for each of us. They are still out there.

February 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

I’m pretty upset that people are collecting more than one monkeyshine, and now selling them? <span class=“caps”>REALLY</span>? Anyway, I really hope there is one left for me out there! It’s a great reason to get out and get some exercise. Have a great day everyone.

February 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

halleyrebecca

The middle schoolers of Seabury School went out on a crazy hunt yesterday. I tried to keep them from climbing in dumpsters and looking under manhole covers – and kept reminding them that the balls were hidden by people, not flying magical creatures or giants … one student found one in a bush in Fireman Park, another in a pile of leaves at Hotel Murano.

Some were disappointed to not have found any, but liked the idea of leaving plenty of balls for the rest of Tacoma to find.

February 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Glinda

Found my First monkey ball on so tacoma Thank you So Happy.:)

February 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

pinkmonkey

Just to make sure everybody understands.  I had a message for Verne regarding <span class=“caps”>GIVING</span> him the <span class=“caps”>ONE</span> ball that I have myself, because i thought it was sweet that he wanted one for his pregnant wife.  I don’t have any to sell, I don’t think people are doing that. Chill people.

February 4, 2011 at 4:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Morgan

Nothing yet… still haven’t found what I’m looking for…

February 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Hilltop Tacoma

We spent most of yesterday looking for these gorgeous medallions and orbs. Unfortunately, we didnt find any. Exploring the city was a wonderful time, we got to go and see places we have yet to see. Going to keep our eyes open for any remaining Monkeyshines.

February 4, 2011 at 6:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anita

After we were successful in finding the medallion @ <span class=“caps”>UPS</span> we searched for an orb after work. After 2 hrs of searching we gave up and went home. When low & behold we found a bright yellow orb right outside our house! What are the chances of that?!! I have every1 @ work looking. I’m guessing they are being left @ different times because places that have been searched numerous times are now finding orb’s. <span class=“caps”>HMMMM</span> we are still gonna look.

February 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

orber

hey all you peeps finding or saying you found them on south tacoma Way, or do you mean that you found it in South Tacoma? just curious? and please help

February 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anita

Glinda is a co-worker of mine and she found hers outside a dealership on S. Tac. way. Its beautiful speckled with numerous colors. I think there are alot more still unfound. Keep Looking!

February 4, 2011 at 10:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

kelly

to verne

your email in not valid here is mine .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we can meet up if you need i can leave our phone number for you to call

February 5, 2011 at 12:05 am / Reply / Quote and reply

orber

thanks anita, your help was wonderful. thanks for the tips we will keep on looking. we did each find medallions and some of our friends found balls in the uw campus area.  so i know more r out there.

February 5, 2011 at 12:08 am / Reply / Quote and reply

amy bell

to blaine hey I found one but am not a rabbit so if you are or you really need one you can email me maybe ill just hide it and give you a clue to find it lol .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

February 5, 2011 at 12:31 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Daddy Mike

North, South, East, or West?  Hey Monkey Master which is the best?  My 6 month pregnant wife and I looked for 3 hours on Thursday and she looked an additional 3 hours today.  We too are hoping to land a precious ball or medallion for our firstborn “baby girl” who is coming in May.  Our baby room isn’t complete without one.  This is our second year of hunting and no luck yet.  We are going to search more this weekend however it’s definitely hard to search when your 6 months pregnant so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

February 5, 2011 at 12:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

You're Welcome

We’ve been hunting non-stop with no luck, but having a great time looking.

All you people asking for sympathy (basically trying to convince someone that you’re better than the rest of us and deserve to have a ball handed to you) is a load of B.S.!  Suck it up or get out of the way.  This ain’t welfare!

February 5, 2011 at 12:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

monkeymaster

dear your welcome

I am just giving tips where i saw them and left them for others to seek and enjoy this is a fun way to bring the tacoma people together this is not welfare or charity and i think its really against the spirit of things to insult people this is fun and a great way to meet wonderful people that could end up as a friend and to mike my co shiner I am sure they are still out there but if you have no luck let me know and ill go out looking for you if your wife can not because she should probably not be walking for 3 hours in cold are you have a boy or girl congrats by the way

February 5, 2011 at 1:13 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Daddy Mike

Thank you for your kind words & support Monkey Master.  We are expecting a girl and are thrilled to be parents.  Hopefully we’ll see you out there this weekend.

February 5, 2011 at 1:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Monkeyfan

I have had so much fun looking for these glass balls and medallions.  I haven’t found any yet, but it has been great to get out and explore.  Please keep doing this.  It’s like a field day for adults.

February 5, 2011 at 2:18 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Rose

Strapped my 30 lb toddler to my back and wandered the hills of downtown Tacoma for 2 hours this afternoon…and found a medallion in a planter on Broadway!  It’s beautiful, thank you Monkeyshines.

p.s.  Found one of your marbles in a tree by the pagoda at Pt. Defiance, thanks marble man.  It was just as fun finding it!

February 5, 2011 at 5:00 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Orber

Thanks for the info Anita…. I finally am done. I looked about 30hrs and just when I gave up bam!!! I found my ball. I’ve always wanted one. And never found one, and there it was outside a bank………. And we thought we looked every where……..

Thanks to my special friends.  who aided me and also found there own gems. You totally rock!

February 5, 2011 at 5:16 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Konagirl_66

I was just curious as to what the medallions looked like. Do they look like the pix at the top of the page?

February 5, 2011 at 5:47 am / Reply / Quote and reply

dani

my ubnderstanding is you don’t find them, they find you.

here’s is the poem from the first year of the monkey, from Beautiful Angles website.

Monkey of love, where are you?

where are the smiley-eyed strangers,

reaching across a cold four am?

where are the shiny round baubles

Nestled under sidewalk benches?

Where are the posies and the pocket knives,

And songs about rivers?

where, where, where are you

Monkey of love?

February 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Lacey

Hey Fellow Monkeyshines Enthusiasts,

I have a couple of questions and was wondering if you all could help me out. How can you safely and securing display a monkeyshines ball? Also, does anyone know if Beautiful Angle put out a Rabbit poster?

Thanks!

February 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

NorthEndJustin

Lacey – l’ve wondered the same thing.  I’ve always just placed mine on the shelf with the design toward the bottom.  The weight seems to do a decent job keeping it from rolling or moving around.

Beautiful Angle did release posters.  I never did see one though.  From what I heard they went fast.

February 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Karen

My son is currently in China teaching English.  In a very few days I’m hopping on a plane to go see him and I was hoping to take a Monkey Ball with me to show his students what we crazy people in Tacoma do for Chinese New Year!!  They celebrate the new year all month long!  My husband and I have been searching for countless hours over for the past two days-no luck.

Does anyone out there have any clues to where we might have better luck looking.  Maybe something more specific than South Tacoma (that’s where we started and ended our two day search, because that’s where we live).

We’ve looked all up and down S. Tacoma Way, Manitou Park, South Park, the planted areas around the railroad tressel going over 66th, Snake Lake, and all along the waterfront both in daylight and at night with flashlights.

Anyway, I’ve gotten a lot of exercise and the weather has been very cooperative while I’ve been out.  Thanks Monkeyshines for the great incentive to exercise!

February 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

rainlover

@91

I saw a copy of this year’s poster in Amocat’s window. Also we have our Monkeyshine’s in a basket with a cloth in the bottom so that we can display them with the design facing up.

February 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

captiveyak

The artists suggested to me that if you wish to display your ball, you can set it on a small ring of <span class=“caps”>PVC</span> pipe.

February 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

steve

if anyone has other years they would like to trade for ones they need leave a email on blog to contact

February 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

@ karen,

thanks for the post i was going to check snake lake today. I think from all the posts most monkeyshines are more toward downtown. I did see a post of one found on so. tacoma way. I don’t know how I had missed it. Anyway, tomorrow I might take the bus to look around s. 12th st. and stevens area, I was thinking 6th ave but I’m sure its been combed over pretty well.

February 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Karen

@96 steve,

I do have a Monkey Ball to trade from the Year of the Pig/Boar if anyone is interested in trading a Year of the Rabbit.

Mine is clear glass with clear spirals around it-its fairly large-and of course it has the Pig/Boar stamp on it.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

the Lady going to China

February 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Trish

I have been looking for three days and I guess it’s not my turn to find one, – yet I hope!  Either I am looking where everyone else has or I just don’t have a clue where to look.  Are they pretty obvious when you do find one? Anyway, Its been fun and great exercise walking around Town.

February 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MariClaire

I just knew I was gonna’ find one today! After 3 hours of fruitless searching, I headed home down S Tacoma Way & saw something shiny next to SureFit Interiors – peeking out from a downspout was a speckled pink orb. SO excited to find my first one…I’m addicted now!! :-)

February 6, 2011 at 12:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Lookie lou

Come on people don’t give up… There out <span class=“caps”>THERE</span>…. Look at south Tacoma way area..and pacific ave…..that’s all I’m sayin…

February 6, 2011 at 4:05 am / Reply / Quote and reply

notagain

Definitely keep looking!

February 6, 2011 at 5:31 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Monkeyfan

S. Tacoma Way, Fireman’s Park, Wright’s Park, Downtown Tacoma, Ruston Way, Point Defiance, 6th Ave., the Proctor District, 38th st., Titlo Park/Beach, S. Tacoma Community Center/Park, Jack Hyde Park, McKinley, Vassault Park, and Stanley Playfield with no luck.  I am done looking.  Good luck to the rest of you, and have fun!

February 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Boys

Thank you marbleman. We r hooked! 3rd year looking and we’ve found 4 marbles in different locations….now we want the real thing. Boys got the bug! Thanks!

February 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blaine

dang monkeyfan, maybe the rabbit wasnt your destined ‘shine. I looked all over too without any luck. There is always next year!

February 6, 2011 at 10:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Glinda cavelti

I went to bingo,lost. On my way home I was driving down So. Tacoma Way at 48th st on right side I found a ball it was next to a gas meter. Thank you made my day after losing at bingo Nadina

February 7, 2011 at 1:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

glinda

I put my monkey ball in the hot tub it flotes looks good thank you.

February 7, 2011 at 2:44 am / Reply / Quote and reply

monkeyshine searcher

Our group found a ball in Old Town and at Tobey Jones and two medallions on the waterfront. Thanks for the adventure!

February 7, 2011 at 3:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply

glinda

Got my second glass ball it will be going to my boss she really has searched hard. If i find anymore im more than willing to share! If i find another rabbit will anyone be willing to trade for one from last year?

February 7, 2011 at 4:37 am / Reply / Quote and reply

low bar

i’m not the worlds greatest amateur anthropologist, but there is definitely something unique about all this activity. or maybe its just an easter egg pre-game for an otherwise bored to death population of humans during winter time. finding shiny objects: good. 365 days of post-industrial era fragmentation of the soul: bad

February 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Bad Monkey!

How does one go about volunteering to hide monkeyshines next year? Sometimes it’s better to give than to receive!…

February 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

geargirl

We found a medallion on the carved bear’s head outside of goldfish tavern by Pt. Def!

We braved a blustery Friday p.m. in the park and came up empty-handed, but flushed with the fun (and cold wind!) of looking. We were ready to call it a night when I saw the glint of something shiny on the bear’s head. And, there it was, our very first! Looks like it maybe had fallen before we found it, as it was a bit cracked and chipped around the edges, but a true monkeyshine it was, made even more precious by it’s rocky journey.

We’re tickled—-thanks Monkeyshine Makers and Placers!

February 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

NorthEndJustin

I searched for several hours during the first two days the monkeyshines were hidden with no luck.  Today I decided to go looking on South Tacoma Way.  Sitting on top of a gas meter, just feet from the front door of the Lucky Silver tavern, sat a multicolored glass ball.  I was shocked it had sat there in plain view for so long.

February 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Judy

I have walked up and down Pac Ave (downtown), around the Tacoma Glass Museum, and all over Wright Park with no luck. Some friends and I went out all day Saturday and most of Sunday and we found a medallion. My son went out a few days last week and found a medallion and a globe. They are beautiful. Thank you for such a fun way to walk around Tacoma.

February 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

offbroadway

Good job, Justin!  I looked along that stretch last night, but obviously didn’t look hard enough.  Congrats!

February 8, 2011 at 5:39 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Still Looking

I have been looking for days now and have not found any.  But it has been great fun and has gotten my kids out of the house.  If we can’t find any I am going to take my kids down to blow their own glass balls.

And my eight year old would like people to stop littering.  She is pretty disgusted how much litter is out there.

February 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Derek

And my eight year old would like people to stop littering. She is pretty disgusted how much litter is out there.

It’s amazing how much litter we don’t notice when until Monkeyshines night. We were talking about the potential impact we could have on the city if every Monkeyshine hunter filled at least one trash bag. Maybe next year.

February 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Still Looking

Derek that is a great idea.  I will definatly have my kids do that next year.  I will tell them it puts good Karma out there.

February 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

amy bell

hey guys so we were thinking maybe we should meet up at round table on pearl sat around one and share our stories and show shines from this year and past maybe trade if we have a year we are not and you are and so one what do you think?

February 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply