Pierce County AIDS Foundation ... Moving Out

A little news from our neighborhood at the north end of Pacific Ave. The Pierce County Aids Foundation is moving into new digs next week. Since 1991, the Pierce County AIDS Foundation (PCAF) has been located in Old City Hall in downtown Tacoma. While others have moved out, they remained as the building’s primary anchor tenant.

Beginning on December 17, PCAF will be working from its new location at 3520 South Pine Street. All telephone and fax numbers will remain the same. Once settled, PCAF will have an Open House for the community to come check out the new space. We’ll let you know when we hear more.

More information at PierceCountyAids.org

Comments

Altered Chords

Wow – Now we can build condos there!  Hooray!  Condos!!!  They will sell like hotcakes!!!

December 11, 2009 at 2:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

daveydog

Good riddance. I mean they do good work but it is like having a drug clinic in the neighborhood. Now if we can only get <span class=“caps”>REMEDY</span> Staffing to move.

December 11, 2009 at 5:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

crenshaw sepulveda

I think they already tried for condos there.  They could only pretend they sold some.  Remember the mystery “celebrity” buyer?

December 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

They moved to the area where the Pierce County Health department and the husk-that-remains-of-Puget-Sound-Hospital are?

Well, actually considering <span class=“caps”>AIDS</span> is a health issue, it does seem like better sense that they be located along with other health-related institutions.

December 13, 2009 at 11:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

I went to check out the Old City Hall building a few months ago and stopped by the <span class=“caps”>AIDS</span> Center there to ask a few questions.  A lady gave me a quick tour of the basement and what was what once upon a time.  Neet building.  Probably my favorite in all of Tacoma. I asked her about why her foundation was the only place in the building left.  She told me the story of how someone was going to build condos there and how before they bought the building, her foundation signed an iron-clad lease for seven years so “noone is going to move us”.  She seemed defiant and proud about this fact.  I asked her why they wouldn’t move and brought up the fact that they might be stopping a great overhaul of a magnificent building and what she thought of that.  She didn’t say too much.  I think she thought I’d be impressed that they stood up to “the man” and won or something.  In all, I’m so glad they decided to move (and do the right thing) so something magnificent can be done to this deserving building.

December 14, 2009 at 9:19 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Trina Jones, photographer

I am happy to update you all <span class=“caps”>PCAF</span> was not only tenant in Old City hall.  I have operated my photography studio out of the area that formally was the Model unit for the “condos” for over a year.  Recently we have added Halo Construction, and another business (graphic design I believe) on the 2nd floor whom I have not yet met. It looks pretty good that another business, formally a <span class=“caps”>OCH</span> tenant will return to their original home on the 4th floor. This is an amazing building that needs a ton of <span class=“caps”>TLC</span>, I wander around and find hidden spaces all the time, old jail cells, tunnels. Crazy cool.

December 14, 2009 at 11:29 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Andrew

Trina, I want a tour! :).  Too bad <span class=“caps”>PCAF</span> moved out of the urban core into a place where there employees and clients will most likely have to drive to get to.

December 15, 2009 at 1:42 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

Thanks for the update Trina.

If Old City Hall re-filled up with commercial tenants, they will be in good shape.

I do see that Old City Hall now has a sign up and is advertising space there.

December 15, 2009 at 7:06 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Trina Jones, photographer

Andrew~ A tour is no problem, bring your flashlight!  The crew that worked at <span class=“caps”>PCAF</span> were always polite and I certainly wish them well.  I think most of them still drove into the city though, based on the amount of auto shuffling I could see outside the studio.  Some of their clients arrived by bus or link but most of them drove as well.  A new addition to add, the client of mine who was a previous tenant in 1999 has signed his lease and moving in the first of the year.  Hopefully the new income for the owners will will mean restoration of this amazing building.

December 16, 2009 at 11:29 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Trina Jones, photographer

Andrew you can get a tour anytime, bring your flashlight! Yes Erik they are getting some interest, nice to have some bodies in there.  Met the other tenant that builds websites, they relocated from Freighthouse. I see you walk to steps, pop in and say hi sometime.

December 17, 2009 at 12:27 am / Reply / Quote and reply