Tacoma City Council - Sept. 18, 2007

The Tacoma City Council meeting was rather uneventful, but a few notes of interest:

• Pastor Ron Vignec was awarded a special recognition for his work in Tacoma’s Eastside with the Greater Tacoma Peace Prize
  • Funds were allocated to the Small Innovative Grant Program for fulfillment of Neighborhood Council projects. The project list will be posted on the city website for you to look at projects in your neighborhood.

The most exciting discussion centered around the Housing First program. Two resolutions were approved in relation to the Housing First program budgets. Councilman Stenger raised questions about the success of the program because of low enrollment numbers. It was explained that although the original target was 100 housing units, about 40 were filled after one year of the program.

The deficiency was attributed to a lower number of people being served to begin with, the number of people who are eligible, and the number of people who want to be served. The revised goal for next year is 55. The Tacoma Rescue Mission has chosen not to participate in the program next year.

Does anyone know how well the Housing First program is working in combating encampments?

Thanks to Whitney Rhodes, who will be following City Council issues for Exit133.

Comments

Jamie Chase

Edgy writting, Sassy. Kudos!

February 6, 2008 at 6:33 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

subterranean

Maybe her friends should focus on her fiscal responsibility and spend thriftness, I mean, being an alcoholic is one thing but at least she knows where to get a good deal. Sounds like she is a model for all of us lushes.

February 6, 2008 at 7:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Tressie

excellent sassy mc!

Some people in Tacoma have No Sense of Drinking Self-Deprecating Humor…..they should be banished to Yelm.

I won’t be taking them on the 2nd annual 12 Bars of Christmas in Portland. (now there’s a town that celebrates liquid happiness)

February 6, 2008 at 9:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

subterranean

Furthermore, who remembers phone numbers in this age of speed dial and myFaves? I don’t think I could even tell you what my best friends phone number is, because when I dial her on my cell phone, I dial her face. That’s all I know. Her face. So please.

February 7, 2008 at 9:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Robin

I agree with subterranean! Who <span class=“caps”>DOES</span> remember phone numbers in this day and age any more? AS IF! Ruby obviously demonstrates a thriftiness that all of us should emulate. A girl who knows how to navigate her way around a good deal is to be praised, not scorned. Ruby, continue with your epicurial attitude towards food and merriment!

February 7, 2008 at 5:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Marguerite

I took that survey and it said I need to seek medical help for addiction. huh? For 3 drinks a week? That’s weird.

February 7, 2008 at 7:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Robin

I <span class=“caps”>KNOW</span>! I took that survey and it said I needed help too! If having one drink every couple of days with binge drinking every couple of months makes one an alcoholic, then sign me up!

February 8, 2008 at 8:40 am / Reply / Quote and reply

tom waits

An alcoholic is someone you don’t like who drinks as much as you do.

Dylan Thomas

Welsh poet (1914 – 1953)

February 8, 2008 at 10:27 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Daniel Blue

hey, sass…

can i buy you a drink sometime?

February 8, 2008 at 3:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sassy McButterpants

Oy! Daniel!

Go pick up girls in your own comments section!

February 9, 2008 at 12:07 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Crenshaw Sepulveda

Can I get a comments section to pick up girls in?

February 9, 2008 at 1:33 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik S

There are some people out there(entire organizations in fact) that hate nothing more than the idea that you might enjoy something they don’t like. Hence the ridiculously expansive smoking ban, lack of equal rights for gays, and alcoholscreening.org’s 3-drinks-a-week threshhold for chronic alcoholism.

If I weren’t straight I could line up a great weekend making nanny staters angry. Oh, and more than than a few cigarettes now and then gets my allergies going. Damn. Time for a new plan. How about drinking, eating bacon vealburgers, and driving without a seatbelt? Not in that order, mind you.

February 9, 2008 at 3:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

LaLaLi

The Gourds cover of “Gin and Juice” is the best song ev-ah. I put it on my mix CD of the best drinking songs ev-ah. Right up there with “Strawberry Wine” and “Beer For My Horses.”

February 9, 2008 at 4:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Andrew

Erik:

Don’t get me started on seatbelt laws. Nothing frustrates me more than laws protecting idiots from themselves

February 9, 2008 at 5:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply