Exit133 is about Tacoma
What will we be talking about in 2014?
We know which stories were big in 2013, so now the question is: what will we be talking about in 2014?
A few stories we know will be talked about...
- Monkeyshines - This is a given. We love Monkeyshines, and we love seeing what you all find, and 2014 will be no exception.
- Charter Review - We've only just begun to hear about the charter review process. 15 citizens will make up this commission. Applications have been submitted, a list has been drawn up, and appointments to the committee are expected to be made next week. Then the real work begins...
- City Budget - Discussions around the 2015-2016 biennium budget will get into full swing this year. Last time around there were tens of millions of dollars to be cut. This time the picture is slightly better. The Fiscal Sustainability Task Force has reviewed the City of Tacoma's financial situation, revenues, expenditures, etc; and come up with a list of recommendations for improving the City's finances. Those findings will be one part of the conversation.
- Link Alternatives - It's only January 3, and already the discussion is heating up around choosing the specific streets for the future Tacoma Link light rail expansion from downtown to Stadium and Hilltop. Aside from a specific route, specific stops along the way, and the minor detail of funding the whole thing remain as questions. With that in mind, we're guessing this conversation will carry on for all of 2014 and beyond in some format.
- Development - In 2013 we began to get the feeling that things were stirring again in the real estate market. Projects like Point Ruston started to see life, and new projects like The Proctor and The Henry came to our attention. Other properties have changed hands or at least been floated for proposals - the City owned blocks at 19th and Jefferson, the former MLKHDA property in Hilltop, the Tacoma Armory, and a significant chunk of the Stadium District, among others, all saw some action in 2013 that could lay groundwork for 2014 developments.
- We also expect to see progress on a number of other projects, including the Tacoma Art Museum expansion, the Prairie Line Trail, the Hilltop Subarea Plan and EIS (formerly MLK Subarea Plan and EIS), and more.
We hope to hear more (good) news about financing allowing the McMenamins Elks project to move forward, and maybe some movement in the right direction on Old City Hall, but we're not holding our breath. And, of course, we're sure there will be a few surprises along the way. Then there's always the question of which new fast food restaurant will top the Chick-Fil-A and Sonic stories for the year...
Looking into your crystal ball, what do you see ahead for Tacoma in 2014?
Do you want to help the folks at Exit133 pay our bills and keep up with of all things Tacoma? Do you want to see even more coverage? Exit133 has always been free to read and comment, and it will stay that way. However, over the years, readers have contributed to the bank account to help us keep up our coverage of goings-on around town. Contribute and this message disappears!Support Exit133