Who’s Ready to Depave Tacoma?

As a sidebar to all this parking talk, we also noticed a fun little program linked to by the Etsy blog.  Portland-based depave is a nonprofit with a mission of removing unnecessary pavement from urban areas and replacing it with asphalt.  The depave website offers resources for learning about and joining their movement, including a how to page.

So, what’s Tacoma’s problem?  Do we have too few parking lots or too many?  And who’s ready to lead the charge on Tacoma’s first depaving project?  Where do we start?

Comments

tom waits

Nothing much to add except that the first couple times I read the headline, I saw “Deprave Tacoma.”

January 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jamie

I volunteer my street to be both depaved <span class=“caps”>AND</span> depraved.

January 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

They can start by taking up the pavement in all the planter strips along roads like South Tacoma Way and Pacific in Tacoma.  I’ve never seen so many paved in.

January 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

I want to see cement in lieu of asphalt. Yeah, it’s more expensive but it goes much longer without crumbling into potholes.

January 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

I would volunteer to help/consult/labor if they pick public places like planter strips in highly visible spots.  I am not willing to be the organizer.

I sold concrete for years and actually am an expert of sorts.  Get a hold of me here: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

January 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Emmett O'Connell

“…removing unnecessary pavement from urban areas and replacing it with asphalt.”

That doesn’t seem to make much sense. Why would you replace one hard surface with another?

January 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Christine

@Emmett: I think that asphalt may be porous to allow rain to soak through. Maybe Jesse can answer that.

January 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jesse

I’m not certain what the difference between asphalt and pavement.  I’m assuming that’s a typo.

January 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

AreteTacoma

Asphalt is a type of pavement.  The following is an objective of their website:

“Provide information, inspiration, and technical assistance to those wishing to remove concrete and asphalt.”

That being said, I think it is generally trying to promote urban forrests and habitat is bad idea for Tacoma, and the open spaces of the surrounding area.  The best way to preserve habitat and farm land close to cities is to have dense compact development in the central city while limiting sprawl.  Hardscape in Tacoma preserves farms in the Orting Valley and forests in Spanaway.  With Point Defiance, the various gulches, and the steep bluffs along our shores, Tacoma is already doing pretty good with urban forests.  We just need to improve access.

January 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B,

<i>So, what’s Tacoma’s problem? Do we have too few parking lots or too many? And who’s ready to lead the charge on Tacoma’s first depaving project? Where do we start?</i>

Tacoma needs buildings on its surface level parking lots built to the curb so that some of the dead zones downtown might one day have pedestrians, not another version of a parking lot….

January 31, 2012 at 2:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply