Work Begins Soon on The Proctor

Last weekend we noticed that the outdated strip mall at the corner of North 28th and Proctor had been razed, and wondered how long it would be until construction would begin on the mixed-use project that will replace it.

It turns out the answer is that the wait won't be long at all. The News Tribune today reports that construction will begin on The Proctor the week after the long 4th of July weekend.

The project was waiting on approval for vacation of the air rights over the alley that runs through the block. That approval finally when the Hearing Examiner approved the vacation of air rights, allowing for the project to move forward, despite the strenuous objections of some Proctor neighborhood residents. With that, and approval by council of both the vacation and a multi-family tax credit, the project is off and running.

Given the heated debate over the project, are you excited to see work begin, or dreading the changes?

Comments

Craig

I live close to this project and I dread the scale of it. You can’t stop development though, especially when one of the major backers used to sit on the Tacoma City Council.

June 27, 2014 at 9:40 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Annoyed

There goes the neighborhood.

June 27, 2014 at 9:44 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jenny JRegistered

I’m excited. I’m looking forward to the vibrancy and activity that will come with more feet on the street and a new building with new retail spaces.

June 27, 2014 at 9:49 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Randy

We need about twice as many people living within the city limits to get the density it really requires to be a “city.” Until then, we’ll always be a dumpy, back water port in the shadows of Seattle. People are moving here—they’ve got to go somewhere. Personally, I’d like most of the new construction to go downtown, but neighborhoods have to absorb some as well.

June 27, 2014 at 11:05 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Doug Andreassen

Having grown up in the Procter area many years ago, (enough to remember the day President Kennedy was assassinated and the reaction from the local business owners), I can say that this development is long overdue. I do not buy the philosophy that the neighborhood is being lost to development. I have witnessed what happens when developments like this go into neighborhoods and the vitality of the community certainly rises. Now the local merchants from the Blue Mouse Theater, to the restaurants to the Train Hobby shop, Bicycle Merchant etc.. will continue to prosper along with the other merchants up and down the Procter area. Let’s invite developers into these communities and the economic benefit that comes with this growth. We need to continue to support the vibrancy that is coming to Tacoma, and yet preserve those institutions that have historical value, as well as the charm that we all love so much about our city. It is always a fine balance, lets embrace and shed some of that ‘gritty’ Tacoma that comes with growth.

June 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

JDHasty

The architectural style is Early American Housing Projects. Cabrini Green replicated right here in the Tacoma’s north end.

The residents of the Proctor District, some of them second and third generation, do not deserve this.  The proposed building is out of scale with it’s neighbors and will result in nearby homeowners living in it’s shadow.

June 27, 2014 at 1:00 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dan

It is physically impossible for it to cast a shadow on a homeowner. To the west is a church and phone company. To the east are commercial properties. To the north is a school.  All of these neighbors are across street and are set back from the road. It probably won’t even cast a shadow long enough to reach them for more than a few minutes in the early mornings and evenings. The shadow argument is refuted by simply looking at a map and having a rudimentary understanding of geometry.

June 27, 2014 at 4:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

JDHasty

If a person goes to their own website they will find renderings of the project.  In one of them the view is looking west from an angle of about where the sun would be in the sun would be in the sky at 11:00AM.  The windows of the homes are just visible over the roofline of the project.

As far as a rudimentary understanding of geometry, I have two years of college calculus under my belt, with nearly a 4.0 GPA in all my college level math classes.  But, light travels pretty much in a straight line through the atmosphere and your own rendering illustrates what I am pointing out.

June 28, 2014 at 4:38 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Dan

I couldn’t find the rendering you were writing about, but saying you took math classes is not the same as using math. I also took college calculus, but as I said, only geometry is necessary. This table shows the Altitude angle (in degrees) of the sun in Tacoma on March 20, the solar equinox, or the most average day of the year http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_altazw.pl. At 11:00 am the altitude is 34.1 degrees. I assume the height of the building is 65 feet, the max allowed by zoning as far as I know. So… 65 ft / tan(34.1deg) = 96 ft. Measure off 96 feet on a map now and tell me how many houses zoned single family residential that hits.

June 30, 2014 at 7:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dan

You may have to actually use this link and input the values to get the table.

Anyway, undoubtedly you can find some times at which the shadow of the building will hit some portion of some home owner’s property, but the point I am making is that the impact will be quite small when it comes to shade.

June 30, 2014 at 7:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

JDHasty

It would not surprise me the rendering were been taken down subsequent to my pointing this out a few months ago.

“This table shows the Altitude angle (in degrees) of the sun in Tacoma on March 20, the solar equinox, or the most average day of the year”

And in the winter, when the sun is low in the sky, when most people would benefit from direct sunlight exposure the average isn’t at all representative.  Is it?

FYI, I had to pass geometry to advance to trigonometry and I had to pass trigonometry to advance to pre calculus and I had to pass pre calc to advance to calc and I had to pass calc to advance to multivariate calculus, linear algebra and advanced materials science and structural engineering classes.  I got close to a four point GPA in the above classes and furthermore I was actively recruited to tutor those classes.  Not only do I know mathematics, I assure you I know how to apply mathematics.  And the State of Washington also certifies that I am perfectly capable of using mathematics to solve complex problems.

How about your credentials?

July 1, 2014 at 8:43 am / Reply / Quote and reply

James

Charming.

July 1, 2014 at 12:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

D Hill

Sad, stupid, and short-sighted.  This building is replacing businesses that have been in the Proctor area for years and that were well loved.  I shouldn’t be surprised, I guess, that anyone or anything can be replaced at the drop of a dollar, which now has more value than anything else.  Wasn’t there a restriction on how high buildings could be in this area?  In the drawing of the building, the whole atmosphere of Proctor is changed from intimate to imitation ‘urban’.  This will not entice me to spend more time in the Proctor district.

June 27, 2014 at 1:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

JDHasty

This is the culmination of Evans maneuvering for well over a decade.  Fact of the matter is he is responsible for the angle parking in front to the school, he conspired with City staff to increase available on street parking in preparation for an application for reducing his on site parking requirements.  This project has been granted waivers, deferrals and exemptions from every requirement imaginable and of those requirements he could not get around he got the Council to change or amend.  The project is the high rise equivalent of manufactured homes, the apartments will be just as tacky and shoddily constructed.

The target demographic wants to live in and enjoy a neighborhood that long time residents have cultivated and nurtured, but without the economic sacrifices that purchasing a home in the Proctor District entail.  They will have not investment in Proctor and Bill Evans and Erling Kester, for all their bluster don’t reside within the neighborhood like they say they do.  Bill Evans is an opportunist who is looking to cash in at the expense of long tome residents.

That is the alpha and omega of what this project is all about.

June 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Jim C

The only good news about how this came to be is that it’s extremely unlikely that another developer is going to be able to hit all the height “bonus palette” requirements necessary to achieve the same scale unless they somehow acquire another square half a block of real estate in the neighborhood.  I’m not sure how that’s ever going to happen.

The result is that this is going to stick out like a sore thumb; like the other prefab condo/apartment structures popping up around town it will always be a reminder of a specific era, whether that association is positive or negative remains to be seen.  I’m pretty sure the creation of apartment housing doesn’t *raise* surrounding property values as a general rule.

June 27, 2014 at 4:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erik B.

Incredible.  Hopefully they can pull it off.  In the top 3 percent of projects built in the last 60 years in Tacoma.  Usually, all Tacoma gets is a bunch of car centric strip malls.  Here are the components of it:

1) Adding housing in one of Tacoma’s mixed use centers.

2) Adding retail on the “main street” of Proctor repairing come of the urban fabric.

3) Built right next to the street for pedestrian walkability and friendliness helping complete a living room feeling.

4) Filling in a muddy parking lot which was scary and unsightly hole in the urban fabric.

5) Parking entrance around the back of the project rather than on the main street.

6) Brick exterior.

Wow.  A 9.5/10 project.  Almost nothing with so many favorable factors have come into Tacoma for half a century.  There a great number of historical examples though pre 1950 before Tacoma’s car centric era.

June 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Doug

Erik..all your points make even more sense to add to this neighborhood. I am sure those that saw the Starbucks go in on the corner, thought the neighborhood was being sold to corporate interests, yet this one addition has also added some vitality to the community. Lets hope they are able to complete this project.

June 27, 2014 at 5:20 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Deirdre E

I love all the positive growth taking place within Proctor. Progress brings more progress… This project is going to bring more people, businesses, shops and cafés into our neighborhood.
I am so ready to have a real vibrant community. Metro market is being remodeled, Washington school is being fixed up and now a real mixed use project is being developed that will bring in housing and new businesses.
It is a very exciting time in Proctor.

June 27, 2014 at 9:44 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Xeno

A great project.  If you don’t like density, don’t live in the city.

June 29, 2014 at 12:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Published Author RR AndersonRegistered

the time to gentrify Proctor neighborhood is NOW.  High time we push out all the riff-Raff

June 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Phil

Amazing!  Not only do we have to deal with the out-of-place scale of this development, a beautiful old tree on N 28th has been cut down to accommodate it.  Really?  At a time when the City is trying to increase the tree canopy city-wide?  In my opinion, this is just another slap in the face of local residents who are asking for something, anything, to make this inevitable monster fit within our community.  Thanks Ehrling and Bill!  For nothing.

July 12, 2014 at 2:16 pm / Reply / Quote and reply