Exit133 is about Tacoma
Bike Swap Event Kicks Off Bike Month in Tacoma-Pierce County
This May, celebrate the ninth annual Bike Month in Tacoma and Pierce County, where many bicycle-related activities and events are planned to engage the community in bicycling resources. The programming is for people of all ages and skill levels, and is presented by the City of Tacoma, in collaboration with Pierce County, Pierce Transit, Tacoma Wheelmen’s Bicycle Club and other partners.
Get in gear for Bike Month and attend the eighth annual Bike Swap at University of Puget Sound (North Union Avenue and North 14th Street) on Saturday, April 30, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This kick-off event is the place to buy, sell and trade new and used bicycles, along with accessories like helmets, trailers and riding gear. There will also be a bike rodeo for children to practice their cycling skills. Local businesses, nonprofit organizations, and bicycling experts will be on hand to answer questions about bike maintenance, where to ride, and how to get connected with other riders.
In addition, all month long residents can participate in the Bike Everywhere Challenge by riding a bike anywhere they might otherwise drive or commute. When residents ride to the park, library, grocery store or other destination and log their trips at PierceTrips.com, they will be entered to win a number of exciting prizes. VisitPierceTrips.com to learn more.
Other exciting Bike Month activities include:
- Blessing of the Bikes: Friday, April 29, at 7:30 a.m., at Urban Grace Church (902 Market St. in Tacoma)
- Bike Month Proclamation: Tuesday, May 3, at 5 p.m., at the Tacoma Municipal Building in Council Chambers (747 Market St., first floor)
- CycloFemme Ride with Tacoma’s Velofemmes: Sunday, May 8, at noon, at Old Town Park (2410 N. 30th St. in Tacoma)
- Pedal the Puyallup: A Family Bike Ride on the Riverwalk: Saturday, May 14, at 10 a.m., at Grayland Park (601 N. Meridian in Puyallup)
- Interstate Ride with Kidical Mass: Friday, May 15, at 11 a.m., at Lincoln Park (801 S. 37th St. in Tacoma)
- Anderson Island Ride: Sunday, May 22, at 2 p.m., at Steilacoom Ferry Landing (56 Union Avenue in Steilacoom)
- 1950s Ride: Saturday, May 28, at 10:30 a.m., at War Memorial Park (6th Avenue and South MacArthur Street in Tacoma)
“Bike Month is a great opportunity for people to get out and ride their bike in Tacoma and Pierce County. It’s a whole month to highlight biking for commutes, recreation, transportation, and fun,” said Downtown On the Go Executive Director Kristina Walker. “There truly is something for everyone whether you’re brand new to biking, or have been riding for years. It’s a real celebration of two wheels!”