Exit133 is about Tacoma
May is Puget Sound Starts Here Month
The City of Tacoma is teaming up with more than 750 organizations across the region to celebrate Puget Sound Starts Here month. During the month of May, a calendar of events offers activities to help residents experience the benefits of living near the Puget Sound and engaging in Sound-healthy behaviors.
Local events in Tacoma include:
- Eighth Annual Tacoma Bike Swap: Saturday April 30, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at University of Puget Sound (North Union Avenue and North 14th Street). For more Bike Month activities, visitcityoftacoma.org/BikeMonth.
- Workshops on composting, green cleaning, rain barrels, native plants and more, weekends at the EnviroHouse (3510 S. Mullen St.). For more information and to pre-register, visitcityoftacoma.org/envirohouse.
- Puget Sound Starts Here Family Fun Day: Sunday May 15, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Foss Waterway Seaport (705 Dock St.)
- Puget Sound Starts Here with the Tacoma Rainiers: Sunday, May 22, game time 1:35 p.m., at Cheney Stadium (2502 S. Tyler St.)
Other ways to get involved include:
- Choose to use a professional car wash or wash your car on grass or gravel to keep suds off the streets and keep oil, heavy metals and toxic chemicals out of Puget Sound.
- Apply for a Make a Splash Grant for a reimbursement of up to $4,000 to complete a project to help prevent stormwater pollution. Applications are due Friday, May 20.
Puget Sound Starts Here Month raises awareness PugetSoundStartsHere.org.