Exit133 is about Tacoma
Southbound I-5 exit to SR 16/East 38th Street closes four nights
Southbound Interstate 5 drivers in Tacoma who use State Route 16 and the South 38th Street exits may encounter night ramp closures. The closures will allow crews to continue efforts to replace the original surface of I-5 near Pacific Avenue.
• 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday, May 9-12: Southbound I-5 exit to westbound SR 16/South 38th Street will close. Drivers will detour via the I-5/South 56th Street interchange.
In addition, drivers on northbound and southbound I-5 through Tacoma are encouraged to expect delays during a series of night closures that will allow crews to continue work on the I-5 HOV projects in Tacoma and Fife.
Monday and Tuesday, May 9-10
At 11:59 p.m., all lanes of southbound I-5 will be routed onto Interstate 705 and back to southbound I-5. All lanes will reopen at 4 a.m. each following morning.
Wednesday and Thursday, May 11-12
At 11:59 p.m. all lanes of northbound I-5 near South 38th Street will be routed onto the northbound I-5 collector/distributor and detoured via either State Route 7 or I-705. All lanes will reopen at 4 a.m. each following morning.
Drivers may also encounter night single- and double-lane closures on northbound and southbound I-5 between M Street and Port of Tacoma Road.
Additional ramp closures
Monday through Thursday, May 9-12
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning
Friday, May 13
• Northbound I-5 collector-distributor exit to northbound I-705 will close from 11:59 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following morning.
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning
Pacific Avenue ramp reopening, I-5 changes configuration
Crews working to expand HOV lanes into Tacoma also are replacing the original surface of I-5. In order for the work to continue on southbound I-5, a new traffic switch is in place through summer.
• Southbound I-5 drivers heading to either South 38th Street or westbound SR 16 also will need to merge into the right lanes of southbound I-5 before reaching the construction zone.
• Drivers heading to southbound I-5 from both I-705 and Pacific Avenue to continue along the South 38th Street collector/distributor. Drivers will connect to southbound I-5 south of SR 16.
Long term ramp closures
Northbound SR 7 on-ramp to southbound I-5 is closed for construction through winter 2017.
A Street on-ramp to northbound I-5/southbound SR 7 is closed for construction through project completion.
Alternate route for eastbound SR 16 drivers going to northbound I-5
Tired of backups on eastbound SR 16 heading toward northbound I-5? Try this alternate route, which uses the SR 7 U-turn at South 38th Street. We've clocked it, and when backups at the merge are heavy this will take you about half the time! Just make sure that as you're heading up the hill on SR 7, take the route to South 38th Street east (not west).