Monkeyshines 2017 - The Year of the Rooster

I know that we've been quiet for a while. This week seems like a good time to step outside for a moment and say something ...

With Chinese New Year fast approaching, the twitchiness and paranoia that is Monkeyshines begin to fill the air. We search trees and parks. We open every newspaper box and look in every potted plant. We discover every single tossed tallboy in every bush. We walk through the city at night hoping to catch a glimpse of our first glass ball of the year. Are you ready for for the Year of the Rooster?

Ms. Monkey and her team, cloaked in anonymity, have created and carefully hidden hundreds (thousands) of handblown glass balls every Chinese New Year since 2003. The balls and medallions are each stamped with a symbol for the new year's animal. They appear in neighborhoods throughout the city. Beautiful Angle posters usually go up that night as well. The even more mysterious Marbleman has been thrilling hunters with his handmade glass marbles the last couple of years. Others have joined in and treasures are now appearing from all over the community. The art is intended to be discovered. It is intended to surprise and be a gift.

The thrill of the hunt has created an extraordinarily devoted and loyal group of followers. The moment a ball or medallion is found, the social interwebs light up with the news. Streets throughout the Tacoma then fill with people looking for their own prized piece of art.

Chinese New Year is Saturday, January 28. Will it happen that night? Maybe some other night?

As we've been reminded year after year, there's really only one rule to Monkeyshines: TAKE ONLY ONE

For us, it’s about wonder and a child-like search for treasure. It's about magic. We don't ask questions. We enjoy the moment. Good luck to all our Monkeyshine hunting friends!

As always, post your stories in the comments. Send your photos to us at tips (at) Exit133.com after you've commented and we'll add them to the story. Thank you.

That said, we know that a lot of people are looking and several friends of the monkeys are already hiding little treasures. If you're looking, have stories to tell, or have questions, post them in the comments. If you have photos you'd like to share, please email them to us at tips @ exit133.com. We'll add them to your comment. Do you need some inspiration? Here are a few things to read while we all wait ...

And who could forget ...

Do you want to help make Monkeyshines happen? Similar to last year, there's a limited edition Year of the Rooster candle cup available with a donation of $100. Or you can simply give a donation.This money goes to the artists to cover the cost of this absolutely amazing and magical event.

We'll update and expand this post as we receive more information.

Comments

Lora Parks

Love ❤️ Monkey Shines!  We have looked for years and have never found a glass orb, but we are always excited to look!  We are Parkspix on Instagram and will share our finds.

January 22, 2017 at 4:29 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

CJOma

Could you please tell us at least if this is just Tacoma or UP-Fircrest-Lakewood also?? Thank you artist——we do so appreciate all your hard work.

January 22, 2017 at 6:30 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

VioletVines

In the past monkeyshines have been found as far south as Wapato Park, west to Pt. Defiance, and east to downtown. I dont think I have ever seen any posts of ‘shines found outside of Tacoma proper.

January 22, 2017 at 7:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

jandmRegistered

In the past there have been reports of things being found in Steilacoom…

January 22, 2017 at 8:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Starcatchers

I found a glass orb about four years ago at a pierce county library in Lakewood, two years ago a clay pot in Wright Park and two marbles at the Nature Center in Tacoma, and last year I found a glass orb (in a fountain) and a blue bottle in another fountain in Wright Park Tacoma. I live near Wapato and last year one was in the lake. I did not go after that one. They are mostly in Tacoma it seems. Hope that helps!

January 23, 2017 at 8:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Anxious Hunter

All over Tacoma, UP, Lakewood, Browns Point, NE Tacoma, ,Steilacoom, etc.

January 28, 2017 at 7:31 am / Reply / Quote and reply

SukiTakahashi

I been searching for four years. Last two years I been blessed with finding a marble from the MarbleMan. I can’t wait to find another or hopefully find something new! There is a new group of people called Tacoma rocks. Beautiful painted rocks have been painted and hidden as well.

January 22, 2017 at 7:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Victoria

yes. the artists of Tacoma ROCKS! -WA… have also been very busy making Year of the Rooster special rocks for monkeyshines…. as well as LOTS of other rocks… so keep ur eyes out.. and be sure to post on the facebook page when you find the rocks… the keep them.. or rehide them to share the joy with others :)

January 22, 2017 at 10:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sadie

Rocks are out! We just came back from Peoples Park and found a rock, there were three other families out on the hunt.. Unknown if they found anything Sorry no smart phone so no picture. We are inthe hunt for a Monkey Shine once again. We have a kiddo that made the Monkey Shine medallions but other people get to hide them and.no clues were given to the kiddos making them. Happy Hunting

January 27, 2017 at 8:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ginny

I have searched for a few years and have found glass orbs 2 years! I have two international students from China living with me and they really miss their family this time of year. They are so excited to go out and try to find glass orbs on Chinese New Year! They plan on making dumplings for the family after we go out and search! Such a blessing…I hope they both find an orb!!

January 22, 2017 at 8:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Jenna

Exit133:  Could you please check the “donation only” link?  It keeps routing me to a page that says “session expired” and I can’t make a donation.  Thanks!

January 22, 2017 at 10:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

DerekRegistered

Check it now. We’ve updated the links.

January 23, 2017 at 6:23 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Deja & Adora

Thank you Marble Man and Tacoma Rocks! We found some beautiful wonders tonight at Firemen’s, Chinese Reconciliation, and Wright Parks. Chucked a little trash on my way.

January 22, 2017 at 11:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

marbleman

Hey everyone, It’s going to be one busy week. will be out everyday! There will be more marbles out this year than we have ever put out!
The votives are beautiful this year! available at the glass shop in the Morano hotel. please support our monkeyshines and get one, or two!!
Marbleman loves ya, stay safe!!

January 23, 2017 at 7:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Karyn

Do you take donations too? I bought some candleholders today at the Morano. 1 for me and a few to hide. I’d love to support you as well.

January 24, 2017 at 7:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Julie

Thank you! We went out as a family and the six kids loved searching for marbles. We found 4 today!

January 28, 2017 at 6:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Starcatchers

For you marbleman! Thank you for your years of marble gifting. ““I was at the corner grocery store buying some early potatoes. I noticed a small boy, delicate of bone and feature, ragged but clean, hungrily apprising a basket of freshly picked green peas.
I paid for my potatoes but was also drawn to the display of fresh green peas. I am a pushover for creamed peas and new potatoes.
Pondering the peas, I couldn’t help overhearing the conversation between Mr. Miller (the store owner) and the ragged boy next to me.
‘Hello Barry, how are you today?’
‘H’lo, Mr. Miller. Fine, thank ya. Jus’ admirin’ them peas. They sure look good.’
‘They are good, Barry. How’s your Ma?’
‘Fine. Gittin’ stronger alla’ time.’
‘Good. Anything I can help you with?’
‘No, Sir. Jus’ admirin’ them peas.’
‘Would you like to take some home?’ asked Mr. Miller.
‘No, Sir. Got nuthin’ to pay for ‘em with.’
‘Well, what have you to trade me for some of those peas?’
‘All I got’s my prize marble here.’
‘Is that right? Let me see it’ said Miller.
‘Here ‘tis. She’s a dandy.’
‘I can see that. Hmm mmm, only thing is this one is blue and I sort of go for red. Do you have a red one like this at home?’ the store owner asked.
‘Not zackley but almost.’
‘Tell you what. Take this sack of peas home with you and next trip this way let me look at that red marble’. Mr. Miller told the boy.
‘Sure will. Thanks Mr. Miller.’
Mrs. Miller, who had been standing nearby, came over to help me.
With a smile she said, ‘There are two other boys like him in our community, all three are in very poor circumstances. Jim just loves to bargain with them for peas, apples, tomatoes, or whatever. When they come back with their red marbles, and they always do, he decides he doesn’t like red after all and he sends them home with a bag of produce for a green marble or an orange one, when they come on their next trip to the store.’
I left the store smiling to myself, impressed with this man. A short time later I moved to Colorado , but I never forgot the story of this man, the boys, and their bartering for marbles.
Several years went by, each more rapid than the previous one. Just recently I had occasion to visit some old friends in that Idaho community and while I was there learned that Mr. Miller had died. They were having his visitation that evening and knowing my friends wanted to go, I agreed to accompany them. Upon arrival at the mortuary we fell into line to meet the relatives of the deceased and to offer whatever words of comfort we could.
Ahead of us in line were three young men. One was in an army uniform and the other two wore nice haircuts, dark suits and white shirts…all very professional looking. They approached Mrs. Miller, standing composed and smiling by her husband’s casket. Each of the young men hugged her, kissed her on the cheek, spoke briefly with her and moved on to the casket.
Her misty light blue eyes followed them as, one by one, each young man stopped briefly and placed his own warm hand over the cold pale hand in the casket. Each left the mortuary awkwardly, wiping his eyes.
Our turn came to meet Mrs. Miller. I told her who I was and reminded her of the story from those many years ago and what she had told me about her husband’s bartering for marbles. With her eyes glistening, she took my hand and led me to the casket.
‘Those three young men who just left were the boys I told you about.
They just told me how they appreciated the things Jim ‘traded’ them. Now, at last, when Jim could not change his mind about color or size….they came to pay their debt.’
‘We’ve never had a great deal of the wealth of this world,’ she confided, ‘but right now, Jim would consider himself the richest man in Idaho .’
With loving gentleness she lifted the lifeless fingers of her deceased husband. Resting underneath were three exquisitely shined red marbles.”
The next time some one tells me a man in a golden tower is smart or measures success by wealth, I am just going to send them here, so they can learn what real riches are… feel like the world has been flip turned upside down? Yeah me too… we can hopefully find comfort in each other… we may need that. Thanks for being my friend… you matter! <3

January 25, 2017 at 8:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Rachelle

I would like to share this on my Facebook page if it’s possible? My family and I love monkeyshines and Tacoma rocks. This story is so inspiring! Thank you.

For you marbleraman! Thank you for your years of marble gifting. ““I was at the corner grocery store buying some early potatoes. I noticed a small boy, delicate of bone and feature, ragged but clean, hungrily apprising a basket of freshly picked green peas.
‘Hello Barry, how are you today?’
‘They are good, Barry. How’s your Ma?’
‘Fine. Gittin’ stronger alla’ time.’
‘Good. Anything I can help you with?’
‘No, Sir. Jus’ admirin’ them peas.’
‘Would you like to take some home?’ asked Mr. Miller.
‘No, Sir. Got nuthin’ to pay for ‘em with.’
‘Well, what have you to trade me for some of those peas?’
‘All I got’s my prize marble here.’
‘Is that right? Let me see it’ said Miller.
‘Here ‘tis. She’s a dandy.’
‘Not zackley but almost.’
‘Sure will. Thanks Mr. Miller.’
Mrs. Miller, who had been standing nearby, came over to help me.
‘Those three young men who just left were the boys I told you about.

January 25, 2017 at 12:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Starcatchers

Please share. Author is unknown but it is a beautiful story.

January 26, 2017 at 9:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

marbleman

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful marble story. Made me smile!

January 25, 2017 at 12:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pegasiswolf

actually… I am very familiar with this story… and the three boys didnt leave 3 RED marbles… they each left one… one red… one blue… and one green….. and related to the widow the story of how each boy ONLY OWNED ONE MARBLE… but when the shop owner wanted a color different than what they had…. they would go home.. and trade with each other… so that they had the color the shop owner wanted

January 29, 2017 at 11:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Goddess Athena

We live in the Lincoln district of Tacoma, and we would love to see some monkey shines up here! Please add us to your route! Thank you & Happy New Year!

January 23, 2017 at 3:32 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erin

Last year a few of the orbs were found in the Lincoln district, and just yesterday a few marbles were found in Lincoln Park. Happy hunting!

January 24, 2017 at 7:55 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Holly

Somebody left on of these at my work outside the front door.  A beautiful medallion!  It was awesome.

January 23, 2017 at 4:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Garden Goddess

Was it a rooster medallion? And where (street/block number) was it left?  Thanks

January 23, 2017 at 5:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Matt Brown

YAY!!! I finally found my first Monkeyshine at the Center for Urban Waters in Tacoma’s tide flats.  I came in to get my cold meds that I left at work Saturday and BOOM, there it was near the door.  I was and still am so excited.  Thanks for continuing this great tradition!

January 24, 2017 at 7:18 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Erin

Was it an orb or medallion? Did it have a rooster on it? Trying to figure out if the official ones are out yet!

January 24, 2017 at 7:29 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Cassandra

Found this in the salmon’s mouth at the bus depot park!! Thanks!!

January 24, 2017 at 12:40 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ptfvance

Does anyone know how far north they hide the monkeyshines? I live in Brown’s Point in NE Tacoma and was wondering if I should look in my neighborhood or search into Tacoma proper.

January 24, 2017 at 8:44 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erin

Last year a few were hidden in Brown’s Point area!

January 24, 2017 at 8:50 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dysfunctional VeteranRegistered

Out early this morning, found a couple Tacoma rocks , which I left for the next hunter. I also found a good looking photograph in a frame in Point Defiance. A nice surprise this morning while enjoying the peace and quiet. Thank you

January 25, 2017 at 5:56 am / Reply / Quote and reply

marblemanRegistered

hey all… heres a picture of the very special art glass that was donated for the monkeyshine 2017 craziness. Generously donated by Jae Jammett at Studio 29 Art Glass,( Jae is on FB), and Benjimin Cornwell from BCGlassWorx.  #lifeisadream.  please post a picture when you find one of these treasures. they will be going out!!!

January 25, 2017 at 3:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitzi dunayski

will there still be more to find Sunday?

January 28, 2017 at 6:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MomAndDaughter

This will be mine and my mother’s 5th year Monkeyshine Hunting! We’ve relocated to Las Vegas, but still make the trip out and are so excited to continue the tradition!
Good luck to everyone :)

January 25, 2017 at 3:35 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The hunter

Getting closer! Can’t wait!

January 25, 2017 at 6:49 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dysfunctional VeteranRegistered

What a beautiful morning for walking the pup. Didn’t see any treasures around so I left some thunder eggs out there. Have fun and good luck.

January 26, 2017 at 6:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

BFC.BlackHorse

Thank you, Marble Man and Marble Woman for bringing a smile to my face this morning. It was such a treat to find one of your beautiful marbles. Your generosity means a lot to me, and to Tacoma. I know there are still some marbles down by the water, Tacomans, so happy hunting!

January 27, 2017 at 11:50 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Silversandman

Great big monkeyshine in the sky this morning.

January 27, 2017 at 12:42 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

laserxmonkey

Enjoy the laser cut plastic coins that are out and about. I’m dropping a few more this evening. Would love to see some pictures on instagram or twitter. Be safe and good luck!

January 27, 2017 at 2:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ron

Has anyone found any orbs yet or are they not out yet we plan on doing a small search tomorrow since I’m disabled and can’t walk too far

January 27, 2017 at 5:57 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erin

I haven’t heard of any orbs found yet.

January 27, 2017 at 7:15 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

mom_emc

Looking for marbles, I found a rock - late afternoon, near Chinese Reconciliation park on Ruston.
Thank you #TacomaRocks!

January 27, 2017 at 6:54 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kat

Found one!!

January 27, 2017 at 8:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RachelfRegistered

May I ask where you found it at? Was it an orb?

January 27, 2017 at 8:25 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kat

At the port of Tacoma…we left a little something in its place

January 27, 2017 at 10:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ron

Was it a orb you found

January 27, 2017 at 10:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Kat

Yep!

January 28, 2017 at 8:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Erin

Was it one of the special Port ones? Which spot did you find it? Would help to narrow our search.

January 28, 2017 at 1:49 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Tricia

Can you tell us where you found it? It’s all very industrial down there so we’re not sure where people are hiding and finding down there.

January 28, 2017 at 3:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

VioletVines

Family is going to sleep now! looking forward to waking up to glass! See you all out there!

January 27, 2017 at 10:10 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

TacomaLuck!

There may be some lucky pennies around tomorrow, keep your eyes open! who knows what kind of treasures you may find…........

January 27, 2017 at 10:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

RachelfRegistered

Been out looking this morning no luck with any glass pieces, but my daughter found a rooster puzzle in a tree at Lincoln park. Good luck out there!

January 28, 2017 at 5:23 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Eliz

We just found one, beautiful orb!!!

January 28, 2017 at 5:25 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitzi

Where did you find yours?

January 29, 2017 at 9:49 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Dani

Found a medallion at the Stevens roundabout near Sherman Elem!!!

January 28, 2017 at 5:29 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RachelfRegistered

Where did you find it?

January 28, 2017 at 5:30 am / Reply / Quote and reply

HaNkRegistered

Found an orb on 38th.

January 28, 2017 at 5:36 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mark

We were there just missed it

January 28, 2017 at 6:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Elizabeth Evans Johnson

We found an orb!!!

January 28, 2017 at 5:44 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitzi

Where did you find yours?

January 29, 2017 at 9:47 am / Reply / Quote and reply

smiles

After searching for several years my daughter just found her first orb!!!

January 28, 2017 at 5:45 am / Reply / Quote and reply

DerekRegistered

To everyone finding treasures this morning, send your photos to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we’ll add them to your comments throughout the day. Happy hunting!

January 28, 2017 at 5:46 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Sent to us by a reader:

“Thank you so much ms. Monkey! Found this beauty in the port of tacoma.”

January 28, 2017 at 5:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Amanda

Have been out since midnight. No luck yet

January 28, 2017 at 6:07 am / Reply / Quote and reply

RachelfRegistered

Found a medallion at Delong park!!

January 28, 2017 at 6:09 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Dysfunctional VeteranRegistered

My son and I found an awesome purple orb next to the gorilla statue, by the point defiance zoo. Thank you sooooooo much monkeys. I left some more thunder eggs and crystals out there. Have fun everybody!

January 28, 2017 at 6:10 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Supatractor55

Found a crystal on the giant sequoia near the pagoda in point defiance. I found irony in this since my daughter and I were leaving little baggies with crystals and carnelian agate in them. Hansen creek by chance? Thanks for the find.

January 28, 2017 at 2:55 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dan and Kels

Found a brilliant blue orb on 6th Ave just west of the costume shop! Thank you monkeys! Good luck to all those out exploring Tacoma this morning!

January 28, 2017 at 6:26 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mama & Cubs

My son found an orb at the park in the Stadium district!  We had been out less than an hour.  Thank you!!

January 28, 2017 at 6:34 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mark

Found a few three for the three of us the mouth of the two dragons waterfrount

January 28, 2017 at 6:39 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mark

All rocks 1 sticker

January 28, 2017 at 6:42 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Curlyglz

Found a beautiful orb by Annie Wright. Thank you monkey team!

January 28, 2017 at 6:47 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Runner Mom

Always look around the statues! Thank you Ms. Monkey and friends! Love Tacoma!

January 28, 2017 at 7:01 am / Reply / Quote and reply

SukiTakahashi

After five years of searching I found my very first MonkeyShine. I now see why they call it MonkeyShines. If I didn’t see the shine of it I would have walked right past by it. Thank you.

January 28, 2017 at 7:03 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jamie

Found a bracelet with a monkeyshine coin attached at the library in the proctor district, and my friend found a beautiful blue glass bottle with a rooster charm attached at one of the parks we visited (he didn’t tell me when he found it so I don’t know which park).

January 28, 2017 at 7:07 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Kim

Found a gorgeous red-speckled orb in the international district. I had heard of several others found in the area, but kept at my thorough search. 90 minutes later my diligence was rewarded! First one I’ve ever found after four years of searching. Thanks Monkeys!

January 28, 2017 at 7:36 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Melora

Found a rad rooster reading button at Rogers Park!  Thank you monkeys!!!

January 28, 2017 at 7:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Melissa & Scott

we found a monkey rooster. And a rooster.  Coolest thing ever.  Thank you monkey shine. Would love to post picture but don’t know how

January 28, 2017 at 7:53 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Kacey

Found a medallion at Jefferson Park this morning before work! My first ever find was from the last year of the rooster in 2005, they look so different now!

January 28, 2017 at 7:59 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Marguerite

Found one at a little park near Pt Defiance elementary!

January 28, 2017 at 8:22 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jonah

I found an orb hidden deep inside a bush at Jefferson park. Thanks Ms Monkey!

January 28, 2017 at 9:22 am / Reply / Quote and reply

GiantPacificOctopus

The Octopods are coming. Some have already made it out and many more coming soon.

January 28, 2017 at 9:24 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mama&cubs;

We were wondering where you were!!

January 28, 2017 at 10:28 am / Reply / Quote and reply

ShineOn

Yay! Love your work! Found one a couple years ago. My favorite rouge find ever! I’ve been wondering if you were still up to monkey business :)  thanks for making Tacoma awesome!

January 28, 2017 at 11:02 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Rachael

Found a beautiful red orb this morning!  First Monkeyshine after 3 years of hunting.  Thank you, Ms. Monkey and wonderful Tacoma community.

January 28, 2017 at 10:03 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Submitted by a reader:

“Found in Proctor near Metro Market and Safeway”

January 28, 2017 at 10:06 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Submitted by a reader:

“I had a great morning meeting Tacomans and finding a plethora of monkeyshines! I only took photos, so they’re all out there waiting to be found again.  Happy hunting and remember, it’s not a competition, we’re in this together!”

January 28, 2017 at 10:13 am / Reply / Quote and reply

MM

Thanks for sharing your photos!  I made the knitted heart and my kids loved hiding them around town this year.  It was really fun giving back to this awesome community event!

January 28, 2017 at 3:28 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sent to us by a reader:

“Thank you, Ms. Monkey!”

January 28, 2017 at 10:18 am / Reply / Quote and reply

DerekRegistered

Here’s a bit of a surprise from a reader:

“Found an Orb with a monkey, not a rooster!  In the Japanese Gardens at Point Defiance.”

January 28, 2017 at 10:20 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Sliversandman

Our family had good luck: we found fraternal twin red orbs in NE Tacoma! Now off for a doughnut and a nap.

January 28, 2017 at 10:22 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Crystal

Where in NE Tacoma did you find them? I live in Browns Point and would like to know if I should check my neighborhood or search farther away

January 28, 2017 at 2:14 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Silversandman

You can stay close to home. Center at Norpoint.

January 28, 2017 at 8:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MonkeyMarimba

We found a medallion at War Memorial Park! Coveted for years—we are thrilled. Thank you, Ms. Monkey and friends!

January 28, 2017 at 10:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

May

Found an Orb at Lincoln High School. And my little sister found one at McKinley Elementary!

January 28, 2017 at 10:39 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Saracritina

#MonkeyShines2017 After several years of hunting, my 1st Float find on 38th at 5:30am! SO Excited!

January 28, 2017 at 10:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Janece L.

Found the “top” marbles at UPS up in a tree. First year Monkeyshine hunting, very excited. Thanks Marble Man, will treasure!

January 28, 2017 at 11:52 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Joli

This treasure was from an anonymous mystery monkey. Enjoy!

January 28, 2017 at 2:09 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

B Madeline

Has anyone found any glass on the south end? Spent the morning searching parks, schools, public art spots, etc and didn’t hear of anyone finding any glass there. Maybe I need to rethink my search next year…

January 28, 2017 at 12:17 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MrsKinder

A message in a bottle was found at Snake Lake but I didn’t find any glass.  I tried Manitou and STAR Center along with Snake Lake.

January 28, 2017 at 12:53 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pat R.

Our pug and my daughter found a beautiful orb at the Cambodian Buddhist Temple on McKinley Ave. this morning.

January 28, 2017 at 12:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sent to us by a reader:

“Found at China Lake Park Saturday around 9am”

January 28, 2017 at 1:38 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

DerekRegistered

Submitted by a reader without comment:

January 28, 2017 at 1:42 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

MomAndDaughter

Have been out since early morning and no luck so far :(

January 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Joli

After looking extensively (obsessively?) the past few years, finally found an orb on the UPS campus. It is so beautiful- thank you Ms Monkey and all of your glass artists for making this amazing tradition happen.

January 28, 2017 at 2:18 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Ron

I was told that riddles get posted on here about locations of different monkeyshines but have yet to see any riddles is that true or is there never any clues

January 28, 2017 at 2:37 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

SukiTakahashi

Yes Naughty Monkey will do that sometimes.

January 28, 2017 at 2:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Chandra Day

Found and orb this morning at old historic park, behind the cabin!

January 28, 2017 at 3:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Submitted by a reader:

January 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Erica

Been up since 5am, just got back home. Found a bracelet at UPS and one of Mr. Marbles marble on MKL around 5:30/6am. I’ve been searching for the last couple of years and never found a orb. I live in 6th Ave district, are there any clues for one around there?

Thanks Tacoma!!!

January 28, 2017 at 4:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

LuRegistered

My 13 year old daughter found 3 Tacoma rocks at Chinese Reconciliation Park about 11am this morning.  She re-hid two of them.  We met many other people enjoying the Tacoma waterfront!  Such a wonderful experience!!

January 28, 2017 at 4:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sadie

Rock found last night we hid for a very young hunter to find. Will there be more MonkeyShines put out tonight? In the T.N.T. yesterday they made a comment that they “may” wait to put them or a few at time throughout the week.

January 28, 2017 at 5:12 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Auntspiker

Having so much fun, reading the stories and looking at pictures of found treasures. Oh, and I will probably be in bed by 8:00 PM. Tired from today’s early morning hunt that continued well into daylight. Thank you, monkeys!

January 28, 2017 at 7:31 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Auntspiker

Oh, and Exit 133, thanks for coming out of the quiet for Monkeyshines 2017 Year of the Rooster… Your guidance, encouragement, and expertise is much appreciated. =

January 28, 2017 at 7:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anxious Hunter

I second that Auntspiker, love all the advice and posts from you! You do good work, I need you to to find out what’s happening in our city. Thanks for all you do.

January 29, 2017 at 1:03 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The Flying Monkeys

To those searchers who have found treasures today, congratulations! To those who have yet to see the glint of glass or silver, NEVER give up! The Flying Monkeys are not done yet! Look high and low through the weekend. Stay safe during your searching and remember, please take only one. ✈️

January 28, 2017 at 8:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitzi

Will there be more hidden tonight or is everything hidden and people still have yet to find them all?

January 28, 2017 at 9:58 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Waterfront Regulars

We searched the Tacoma waterfront from about 6 am until 9:30. We did not find any orbs or medallions. We have tried for several years now with no luck, oh well, maybe next time. We did find some other fun things; marbles, pictures, rocks, and a rubber ducky. We left everything behind for others except for two rocks. Thanks to the organizers, it’s a lot of fun and we get good exercise.

January 28, 2017 at 9:02 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Lyn

My daughter was up at 3:30 AM “just getting our boots ready”. A few hours later she found her orb floating in a bucket of water in an alley. Thank you for such an amazing day!  The smiles, kindness, and comradery of all the fellow hunters is what keeps this so worthwhile. When my daughter was getting discouraged, someone gave her a marble and she had new energy. After she found her orb, she shared marbles with others to keep them inspired.

January 28, 2017 at 9:05 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Looking4RocksRegistered

Searched Saturday morning with Early Morning Proctor Runners, and in the wooded Union Ave median I found a beautiful orb! Thank you for this wonderful tradition that brings the community together.

January 28, 2017 at 10:36 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Dani

Spent the morning out looking again and got kinda lonely. I only ran into two other people searching at Kandle Park, otherwise I had the world to myself!! Found a cute little rooster poker chip at Jane Clark. Anyone else out and having luck? Feels like a lot of the big parks and places from years past haven’t been mentioned yet!

January 29, 2017 at 7:43 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Maylina

Went to Lincoln High School and then walked around 38th and nothing to be found only garbage @ 6am.

January 29, 2017 at 8:23 am / Reply / Quote and reply

K

Seems sparse this morning. Started around 4am at Chinese Reconciliation Park, found nothing. Headed up to Old Town Gateway Park, where my 3 year old found a stuffed rooster in the salmon’s mouth, that made him so happy! He’s been cuddling it all morning. Hit a few spots downtown, and walked Owen’s Beach promenade, where 3 people found shines near the picnic tables, but no glass. Searched around Anthony’s and the ferry terminal. Found a marble, left a marble. We’ll see if we have any luck in the international district before the Lion Dance.

January 29, 2017 at 8:43 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jamie

I’m glad your 3-year old found the rooster stuffed animal. I found it yesterday and decided to re-hide it this morning.

January 29, 2017 at 9:26 am / Reply / Quote and reply

K

Thank you for helping bring joy to a child! He named it “Roo” and it’s his one of his favorite “friends” now. He had a special sharing day at preschool today, and he was going to bring his toy dump truck, but changed his mind this morning and brought the rooster instead!

January 30, 2017 at 10:29 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Pennie Saum

Been out since 6 found several shines but no orbs or medallions yet! But still on the hunt. Gilmur, Julia’s Gultch….next-who knows!

January 29, 2017 at 9:02 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Jamie

Some friends and I started searching at 5am and didn’t find anything today. We ran into other people searching who also hadn’t found anything. Guessing the monkeyshines will go out at a later time?

January 29, 2017 at 9:35 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Submitted from reader:

January 29, 2017 at 9:56 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Sent to us by a reader:

January 29, 2017 at 9:58 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Mitzi

Where did you find yours? Wasit found today or yesterday?

January 29, 2017 at 12:47 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Sent to us by a reader:

“Found my first Monkeyshine after looking for the past 5 years! This lovely
deep red orb was near Pearl and Pt D! Thanks Ms Monkey! Keep shining on
Tacoma! ❤️”

January 29, 2017 at 10:00 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Kimmy

How do you add a pic of what you found

February 1, 2017 at 11:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Natalie

Where are all the orbs this year??? I went out yesterday and today. Looked at several different places. And nothing.

January 29, 2017 at 10:19 am / Reply / Quote and reply

mom_emc

Went out on the waterfront this AM to re-hide the rock I found, and I found an orb. Only this orb was a whole onion, washed up on the shore!  I guess the Universe knew I was planning to make a pot roast today. (of course she did) :)

January 29, 2017 at 10:29 am / Reply / Quote and reply

James

I found a red bracelet with a rooster/elephant imprinted medallion! It was on 6th ave by the Red Hot. It’s the only thing I’ve been able to find while hiding toys around town. Pretty cool.

January 29, 2017 at 10:41 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Ptfvance

Does anybody know how many orbs the Port of Tacoma is hiding? I know there were clues for 4. I checked those areas on Saturday to no avail? Are they putting out more later? There haven’t been any more clues.

January 29, 2017 at 12:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Janece

There’s a woman commenting on the Port FB page that appears to be affiliated. She said yesterday all were found and no mention of others being hidden.

January 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Blossom

Found an orb this afternoon in International District. Was walking in some dead grass, and looked down and there it was! Thank you, Ms. Monkey, for having monkeyshines put out over several days and for encouraging less obvious locations. This was my first orb!

January 29, 2017 at 3:56 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

The HunterRegistered

What a great day to walk this beautiful city we live in! The sunrise was second to none. Talked to a lot of friendly shiners, saw marbles and other treasures waiting to be found. I also found a medallion hidden at a school!! Thank you Ms Monkey for all you do!! Thank you to all the great people for going the extra mile getting involved either by making and hiding prizes or donating to the cause!

January 29, 2017 at 5:52 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

puyallupmomma

Found a beautiful ‘earth’ marble from Marble Man at the top of the Spanish Steps and was super lucky yesterday afternoon to find an orb at Amtrak! Love, love, love Monkeyshines! Favorite event of the year…

thank you to all the amazing people that make this possible, it is magick!

January 30, 2017 at 9:09 am / Reply / Quote and reply

CJ

Sunday, January 29 we were walking the dog at Delong Park.  Zellie the Great Dane was entranced by a red marble with a flowing gold band, sitting on a rock under a tree.  Thank you to the creator of this lovely marble.  Finding a little treasure was a moment of joy -  an anodyne to dark and troubling times.

January 30, 2017 at 9:29 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Waterfront Regulars

We were down by the Grand Cinemas walking to a movie and I was explaining monkeyshines to my friend who didn’t know about it and we walked by this statue and I said “they can be anywhere, just like this statue” and I looked up and saw this.  It was too funny.  I think this is one of those octopods.  I gave it to my friend since I already had a rock.

January 30, 2017 at 10:23 am / Reply / Quote and reply

Rogge

I have spent two days walking countless miles across this beautiful city. I have come across many treasures, most rehid. Several tacomaROCKS, a marble, a glass tile painted with bees, and a message in a bottle. I am so greatful for for what this adds to our already unique city. Keeps us all weird.

January 30, 2017 at 6:34 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

marblemanRegistered

Thank you Ms Monkey, what you do is an inspiration. You make T-Town a better place. thanks to all your monkey helpers for all their hard work. Special thanks to the marble lady,  and the Produce monkey. thanks Tacoma, had a good time, you were fun!  see ya next year!!

January 31, 2017 at 5:41 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

marblemanRegistered

January 31, 2017 at 5:42 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anne

No monkeyshines yet this year.  I have noticed that downtown Tacoma is cleaner this year than last.  Brisk weather but this gets me outside.  Really wish I could find an orb or medallion as I am a Fire Rooster!

February 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Anxious Hunter

Was out and about talking to people I’d run into and people are still finding things even orbs. Remember there were over 1000 things hidden and all of them aren’t accounted for and I know some of Ms Monkeys helpers keep some treasures to hide into mid week so don’t give up yet. Always be on the look out, someone found an orb from last year last weekend. Two girls found an orb at Manitou yesterday when my daughter in law was out looking, she missed it by 2 min.!

February 2, 2017 at 1:46 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

holly

Thanks to Ms Monkey and all of her helpers, including the rogue monkeys!!  We look forward the magic of monkeyshines every year.  Even if we don’t find something the hunt is always fun!  And we always discover a new place or meet new people.  Thanks all for making Tacoma so special!

February 3, 2017 at 1:26 pm / Reply / Quote and reply

Heather

Any hints on monkeyshines that might be out there still? Missed an orb by a few minutes last week and by monday posts seemed to be slowing down about people finding stuff.

February 4, 2017 at 12:48 am / Reply / Quote and reply